Directory Reading Too Slow

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

DrewTheGeek
500 Command not understood
First name: Drew

Directory Reading Too Slow

#1 Post by DrewTheGeek » 2019-12-29 21:02

I just updated FileZilla today and now the loading of the queue keeps pausing itself because I'm downloading files faster than the directory can update. I'm also using SFTP and I noted that there was a bug fix ( Remote paths were not fully resolved on all operations ) that may be related. The server has plesk installed but not sure where to find info on what FTP service is running. I can load up about 4k files (all fairly small ones in size) and the queue will drop faster than it builds back up. In previous versions, downloading the same files from the same directory, the queue would be full before the downloads complete. I'm sure if I had several very large files, I may not notice. I can see a noticeable pause between each "file" read or directory item.

If you want to duplicate the issue, I'd suggest you upload about 10k files all of a small size. Something along the lines of 2 or 3k in size. Then download them again.

Here is what I'm running in case it helps.
FileZilla Client
----------------

Version: 3.46.3

Build information:
Compiled for: x86_64-w64-mingw32
Compiled on: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Build date: 2019-12-23
Compiled with: x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc (GCC) 8.3-win32 20190406
Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall

Linked against:
wxWidgets: 3.0.5
SQLite: 3.29.0
GnuTLS: 3.6.9

Operating system:
Name: Windows 10 (build 18363), 64-bit edition
Version: 10.0
Platform: 64-bit system
CPU features: sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4.1 sse4.2 avx avx2 aes pclmulqdq rdrnd bmi2 bmi2 adx lm
AMD Threadripper 2970wx
128 gigs of ram

I also have two network cards and over a 300megabit connection. The server will support up to 8 connections from a single client and I've never been able to max out my bandwidth while downloading.
The only other thing I can think that may be an issue outside FileZilla would be hard-drive write times. Again, this issue only showed up after the recent update. It's more of an inconvenience than a real issue but I wanted to mention it in case there were other people noticing the same issue. While I doubt it could be on my end, I'm open for any suggestions on things to check.

TIA - Drew

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Directory Reading Too Slow

#2 Post by botg » 2019-12-30 09:01

Please clarify your directory structure. How are those files distributed over subdirectories?