Filezilla 3.46.0 - Toolbar icons too large under El Capitan

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Dustbucket
500 Command not understood

Filezilla 3.46.0 - Toolbar icons too large under El Capitan

#1 Post by Dustbucket » 2020-02-05 10:11

Having run Snow Leopard since it came out, this week I did a clean install of El Capitan on a fresh SSD. All is running well. I have an odd problem with my installation of Filezilla, though, and I was wondering if anyone here could advise me.

On my old version of Filezilla (3.8.1) that ran under Snow Leopard, the toolbar icons were a sensible size. On my new one (3.46.0) under El Capitan, the toolbar icons are too large. They look blown up and blocky. I'm using the classic theme. I've tried adjusting the scale factor in Settings/Themes, but it has no effect at all. Here's a screen-grab to show what I mean:

Any ideas on how to fix this? Everything works as it should - it just looks odd!

Dustbucket
500 Command not understood

Re: Filezilla 3.46.0 - Toolbar icons too large under El Capitan

#2 Post by Dustbucket » 2020-02-05 12:28

UPDATE: Further research leads to the conclusion that this may be an intractable Apple OS problem, not a Filezilla one.

The evidence:
https://trac.filezilla-project.org/ticket/11176

Interestingly, I've discovered that I can make the icons BIGGER by adjusting Scale Factor, but not smaller. Rats. :(

ADDED LATER:

Well here's a curious thing... As an experiment, I took a copy of the old 3.8.1 Filezilla app and dropped it on the desktop of El Capitan. I then un-mounted the old Snow Leopard system drive to ensure that Filezilla couldn't be influenced by any dependencies from that OS.

I launched it - and found that all of the toolbar icons rendered in their correct size. The app doesn't work, of course - it can't connect to any of the websites I manage - but it looks the way it should, even running under El Capitan. This leads me to wonder whether the "large icon" problem in 3.46.0 could be somehow fixable. If 3.8.1 can show the icons the right size under El Capitan...? Just speculating. :wink: