"@" Ampersand in FTP Username

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

blog'em
504 Command not implemented
First name: Matthew S

"@" Ampersand in FTP Username

#1 Post by blog'em » 2020-03-08 17:43

Hello Everyone,

Hosting Services these days are in the habit of generating FTP usernames in the format "user@domain" to log into "domain", (Interworx, and perhaps even cPanel does this). This seems a little redundant. However, I've been speaking with Interworx and it doesn't sound like things are going to change.

This breaks FileZilla command line options to connect using filezilla.exe sftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@HOST

...Can we expect an update to FileZilla to accommodate this? Or do we need to keep on the case of our Web Hosts to fix this?

I am aware of a previous, 15 year old discussion on this topic
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=765

I guess nothing has happened since then.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: "@" Ampersand in FTP Username

#2 Post by botg » 2020-03-09 08:25

Use the Site Manager in this case.

blog'em

#3 Post by blog'em » 2021-08-01 21:04

I provide a web hosting service and manage numerous sites with various logins (FTP, WordPress, email, etc). I use KeePass along with FileZilla command line options to keep track of everything. Because InterWorx requires an ampersand in the FTP username, ever since I switched away from cPanel managing so many sites has been almost impossible. This has been going on for too long.

As long as FileZilla accepts ampersand usernames in the program interface and "site manager", it should do so from the command line as well. But if FileZilla wants to hold "feet to the fire" for server applications like InterWorx, it might as well disable ampersand usernames in the program program interface as well and really throw some dirt in the air.

I understand if FileZilla doesn't want to to endorse unofficial, but often-used, standards. However, I would ask FileZilla to at least allow hex-encoding of characters from the command prompt. Then users and web servers can do want they want. (I firmly support allowing people to use software how they want, even if it seems stupid.)

Thanks

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2021-08-02 06:02

Direct command line in this format cannot be supported as it would be ambiguous. Note: The @ (at) character is not ampersand, amperesand is "&".

The statement "Use the site Manager" did not mean to use it interactively. Apart from entering the server URL directly, you can define the server in the Site Manager and then call the Site Manager entry (as opposed to just the URL) using the -c (or --site) command line parameter.

Command-line_arguments
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

blog'em

#5 Post by blog'em » 2021-08-02 09:46

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean now.

However, keeping track of and saving passwords/logins in two separate places requires extra security upkeep.

I emailed InterWorx support, and they said that the "at" symbol @ is allowed in usernames according FTP specifications (RFC959), so maybe hex-encoding from the command line would be a workable solution if supported.

As I mentioned, I use KeePass to keep track of a lot of things all in one place, (FTP, HTTPS sites, WordPress, password protected directories, email, etc). This system works very well to quickly open up and login with FileZilla and various other applications. I can keep numerous accounts related to the same site or customer all on one place, and easily backup, transfer, or update.

I will continue to look for a workaround, and post again if I find anything.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2021-08-02 11:28

Would using "Ask for password" (in the Site Manager entry) together with KeePass' AutoFill work? Call FileZilla using the -c <server> option and use AutoFill from KeePass when it asks for password.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

blog'em

#7 Post by blog'em » 2022-01-08 19:18

Okay, this one's on me. I assumed that user:password@site:port would not accept "@" in usernames, but the official standard DOES accept this, and so does Filezilla.

What was happening was that there was another character in the password that Filezilla doesn't recognize. One of...

)=${#^%~

...but I haven't tracked down which one yet. After I removed the non alpha-numberic characters, it worked.

I discovered this when looking at the logs. Filezilla indicated the password as one charter shorter than it actually was. I tested this in the latest version, Filezilla 3.57.0