FATAL ERROR: Operation timed out

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

KateT
500 Command not understood
First name: Aikaterini
Last name: Tourna

FATAL ERROR: Operation timed out

#1 Post by KateT » 2020-04-01 15:45

Hello everyone,

I have been working from home for the past week. At work (on my work computer) I use FileZilla to connect to a cluster run up by the University of Milan. I don't remember running into any trouble when I first connected to it some months ago, but I can't connect to it using my laptop at home. I see that similar posts have been made before but I don't really understand the answers given (I am a biologist learning to do bioinformatics). I am also contacting one of the people involved in running the cluster, but I am guessing everyone in Milan right now is focused on... more pressing matters :/

I am on MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.6, and have installed FileZilla 3.47.2.1. It should be an SSH file transfer. At first the error message was "Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity", so I changed the time from 20 seconds to 0 (which inactivates time out). That didn't work. I also tried with the time being 120 seconds and 9999 seconds, with no success. I then tried to switch off my laptop's firewall but it was off already. These are all ideas I found online. Another idea I tried was to make some changes through the Network Configuration Manager, as explained here: https://www.hostinger.co.uk/tutorials/h ... -filezilla. The error I'm getting now is "FATAL ERROR: Operation timed out". I am not sure what the issue is; I was thinking it might be that I'm now connected through a different IP address but my IP address wasn't important in the first place.

Please advise and thank you in advance!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FATAL ERROR: Operation timed out

#2 Post by botg » 2020-04-02 08:37

Could you please post a log from FileZilla? Based on the limited information given so far, my best guess would be a server outage.