File Permissions

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

rocky48
500 Command not understood
First name: Tony
Last name: Hudson

File Permissions

#1 Post by rocky48 » 2020-04-06 10:19

I needed to change file permissions and was not able to change them as the connection was not a sucure one.
Because of this I downloaded PuTTY and changed them with an SSH login. I tried logging in with Filezilla with the SSH credentials but it would not connect.

When I checked the files and directories that I had changed permissions on, they still said 700, which is the default setting.

1. Why can't I connect with SSH using Filezilla?
2. Why does the file permissions still show the default permissions?

boco
Contributor

Re: File Permissions

#2 Post by boco » 2020-04-06 21:14

1. Because FileZilla does not support SSH nor the full SSH2, only SFTP (over the SSH2 protocol). So, that server would need to support SSH2 and have the SFTP subsystem enabled. Note that the original SSH protocol and SCP are not supported at all. Rule of thumb: If you can connect with PuTTY's psftp tool, you should be able to connect using FileZilla.

2. How did you check? The figures shown over FTP or SFTP connections are often bogus/dummy ones. If you re-checked over the shell, you might not have permissions to change them, or you are overridden by some kind of local server policy.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

rocky48
500 Command not understood
First name: Tony
Last name: Hudson

Re: File Permissions

#3 Post by rocky48 » 2020-05-13 19:44

Thanks!
I eventually used Putty in command window.
Putty was new to me but after researching the commands and getting used to the interface I was able to set the permissions.