FileZilla 3.41.2 (SNAP, Ubuntu 20.04) can't read XML files

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Rebunted
500 Command not understood

FileZilla 3.41.2 (SNAP, Ubuntu 20.04) can't read XML files

#1 Post by Rebunted » 2020-04-23 21:43

First of all: great work with FileZilla. It is my go-to FTP client for many many years without any problems. Therefore this is the first time I need to open a topic (and register an account).

I've just installed the new Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and installed the FileZilla client via the Software Store (snap). For me the first time installing software via snap (my previous install was 16.04 LTS).

However, since this version it seems that it can't read XML files anymore on other locations. I normally used a symbolic link to list to my filemanager.xml file. But when opening the file manager I've got an error stating
The file '....xml' could not be loaded. File was not found at offset 0.

I know a symbolic link for the site manager isn't a supported feature, so I used the official way and used the fzdefaults.xml file to load the configuration directory (including the filemanager.xml file) from another location. And here again, when I open FireZilla I've get a similar message (xml could not be loaded).

I'm 100% for sure the file is there and is readable. Could you please help me?

boco
Contributor

Re: FileZilla 3.41.2 (SNAP, Ubuntu 20.04) can't read XML files

#2 Post by boco » 2020-04-24 01:24

Sorry, we can't help you as you are not using a supported FileZilla version. Linux package manager versions are generally third-party redistributions and must be supported by their maintainers. And 3.41.2 is very old.

For getting support here, you need to use the latest FileZilla version, downloaded directly from here. Alternatively, a self-compiled release using the latest sources downloaded directly from here.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2020-04-24 07:21

Don't use Snap, it's a deeply flawed technology. Properly package software for your distribution's native package manager.

Rebunted
500 Command not understood

#4 Post by Rebunted » 2020-04-24 08:32

I see now.

I just installed the apt version and that one works perfectly with the fzdefaults.xml file.

Problem solved :-)