Tranfer threads get stuck and eventually I have to kill the transfer

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

garyhoffmann
500 Command not understood
First name: Gary
Last name: Hoffmann

Tranfer threads get stuck and eventually I have to kill the transfer

#1 Post by garyhoffmann » 2020-04-27 20:56

Hi - I'm having an odd problem with FileZilla in the past release or two. I don't recall when it started happening for sure, but it's definitely been bad lately. I'm not going to say this may not be a server issue, but I don't know, so I'm starting here.

While transferring a lot of files (1000s of files), I run into problems where FileZilla threads get stuck. Once a transfer thread is stuck, it will not transfer anything anymore. It will timeout the files and eventually try the next file, but it will not try a disconnect/reconnect or a thread kill/restart.

I don't know what's causing the problem and the errors come by so fast that I can't see what the errors say.

What I'm wondering if there would be a way that if a thread cannot transfer a file, for whatever reason, it stops the thread and restarts it rather than just letting it have a problem for the entire transfer.

For example, I am transferring about 24000 files right now and 3 of my threads are stuck - only one is continuing to transfer. I can set my transfer threads higher, but it would be better if the threads managed themselves a bit. I have 69 failures at this point and they are all related to the same three threads being stuck.

Maybe if a thread fails twice or three times, it could be stopped and restarted. Or, if there was a manual way to stop the transfer threads and restart them, that would be great. Right now, it is still getting filenames from the server, so if I stop the process now, it will miss a lot of files that DO need to transfer.

As I'm writing this, the 4th thread has stopped. So, right now I have no way to transfer anything short of adding threads to the list. So, I'm bumping my threads to 6 for now.

Let me know what can be done about this and/or what I can do to diagnose the problem.

Thank you for this tool. it's a wonderful tool!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Tranfer threads get stuck and eventually I have to kill the transfer

#2 Post by botg » 2020-04-28 08:30

Can you please try 3.48.0-rc1?