Dark Background in FileZilla?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

techiesdiary
500 Command not understood
First name: Imran
Last name: Sayyad

Re: Dark Background in FileZilla?

#16 Post by techiesdiary » 2021-10-02 07:44

When to expect system setting referred auto dark mode in filezilla ?
Imran Sayyad

boco
Contributor

#17 Post by boco » 2021-10-02 21:57

Windows? Don't hold your breath.

Linux (and possibly Mac?)? Already possible, through the system theme.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

IFireflyl
First name: Adam
Last name: Hayes

#18 Post by IFireflyl » 2021-10-17 03:25

boco wrote:
2021-10-02 21:57
Windows? Don't hold your breath.
Why are you so opposed to putting in the extra work to give us a Dark Mode option? I truly can't fathom the logic you're using here. Almost every other Windows desktop app that I use has a Dark Mode option.

FileBot
MKVToolNix
HWiNFO64
Malwarebytes
eM Client
Kindle
Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, et cetera)
EmEditor
Calibre
Cheat Engine
Visual Studio
Notepad++

That is a small list of my most commonly used apps that all have a Dark Mode option. I'm trying not to be frustrated, but if all of those desktop apps (many of which are free) can implement a Dark Mode option, I simply don't understand why FileZilla can't incorporate a Dark Mode. Yeah, it means you'll have to do extra work, but barring major OS changes the work should be a one-time thing. I feel like not pissing off your customers with the snarky responses (where you just blame Windows) is worth the extra work. A ton of other desktop apps are spending the time to make these changes, even apps that don't have paid versions to help them out (such as Notepad++, MKVToolNix, and HWiNFO64). Heck, make it a Pro-only feature. That might get people to buy pro who wouldn't have otherwise purchased it. That should help make up for the work you have to put into making the Dark Mode, and it means people will be happier with your product.

boco
Contributor

#19 Post by boco » 2021-10-17 03:43

As you address me, here's the disclaimer: I don't have anything against a dark mode in FileZilla, I'm merely stating the facts as they are. But I have absolutely nothing to do with the development of FileZilla, you are misinterpreting my position.
Unless it comes to forum moderation, I am a normal user of FileZilla and the Pros, having about as much influence on development as you have. As such, I can only echo the decisions of the development team, nothing more.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

RockPaper

#20 Post by RockPaper » 2021-10-26 02:46

I support adding Dark Mode to FileZilla.

Dark Mode supported programs from top of my head:
  • KeePass (.NET/C#, using a plugin)
  • Firefox (C++, using a Web Extension)
  • XYplorer (Visual Basic 6)

tiagozn
First name: Tiago
Last name: Oliveira

#21 Post by tiagozn » 2021-11-19 01:21

Hey guys, stop beggin'em to create such a useful feature as a dark mode.

They really doesn't care about it.

Do you want a very nice and free alternative?

WinSCP (reads dark mode from Windows and automatically set it)
https://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Other very cool feature, after installation, it will recognize all of your filezilla data, bookmarks and passwords and can automatically import them to WinSCP.

Enjoy!

And buy the WinSCP guys a coffee! :)

whistlerpro
504 Command not implemented
First name: Darran
Last name: G

#22 Post by whistlerpro » 2021-12-01 10:53

I've read an interview with botg and I know one of his strengths is ignoring the superfluous to make FileZilla the best FTP it can be. In that sense I can see why someone might ignore dark mode, if the UI ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

As others have said, if the UI bothers you there are many beautiful FTP apps out there which can serve your needs, though not all of them are free (e.g. Transmit on the Mac).

On the other hand, I would urge botg to look at dark mode as more of a fundamental 'need' than a superfluous 'want' as I am sure it's leading users (including myself) to look elsewhere for our FTP needs - and makes Filezilla look like it's stuck in the '90s.

allsite
First name: R
Last name: S

#23 Post by allsite » 2021-12-03 18:30

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL! I'll explain it in very simple terms.

1. Windows cursor is WHITE in dark mode. It's extremely difficult to see in FileZilla. Added risk.
2. FileZilla offers no option to disable drag/drop from the GUI. It can only be done by hacking config. More risk.

The result? An increased chance of blowing up your client's server by misclick. Especially after tabbing over from your other apps that properly support a dark mode.

And for traditionalists who think dark mode is for kids in their parents basement, I have news for you, it's NOT. As more devices move towards running on batteries, having pixels defaulting to 100% bright white is a poor default behavior in terms of conserving battery and wear on the screen. It's also terrible for your eyes in many environments.

So come on FileZilla, lets do this!

Starky Rubble
First name: Starky
Last name: Rubble

#24 Post by Starky Rubble » 2021-12-18 20:46

HELP - I need dark mode

I'm 73 and I've been sitting in front of a monitor since 1981 (when I got my Vic-20)

White backgrounds literally hurt - they are painful to my eyes

Filezilla has been so awesome for so long that I can't leave but I can whine!

iam_sysop
226 Transfer OK

#25 Post by iam_sysop » 2021-12-20 18:15

FileZilla uses WxWidgets -- the WxWidgets library has not added "dark mode support" for Windows libraries - only the Linux and macOS libraries (partially) have it.

To enable Dark Mode in win32/win64 requires rewrite of underlying libraries to include support (not maintained by FileZilla) or complete re-write of UI code to use different underlying support libraries.

I'm NOT part of FileZilla design/development team. I have spent several hours researching this issue independently and have run into this brick wall.

This is not the developer(s) issue per-say but underlying development library issue.

The man-hours involved in re-writing the UI are not justified (by my calculations) when other issues/enhancements are more critical (like staying on top of TLS + Secured protocol enhancements) --

AGAIN - I'M NOT A DEVELOPER ON THIS PROJECT - THIS IS JUST MY INPUT AFTER BROWSING/DIGGING INTO THE FILEZILLA UI CODE AND THE LIBRARIES USED while in my own attempts to setup Dark Mode triggers from the OS in Win32/64 for FileZilla to use.

SisKebap
First name: Business
Last name: Owner

#26 Post by SisKebap » 2022-01-04 13:40

tiagozn wrote:
2021-11-19 01:21

Other very cool feature, after installation, it will recognize all of your filezilla data, bookmarks and passwords and can automatically import them to WinSCP.

Enjoy!

Another professional dev here...

I actually signed up here just to thank you, tiagozn!

And to make clear that from now on I will use that well coded software WInSCP with all the features we want from a non-ignorant and non-condescendant developer. :D

tiagozn

#27 Post by tiagozn » 2022-01-22 00:10

Last edited by tiagozn on 2022-01-22 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

tiagozn

#28 Post by tiagozn » 2022-01-22 00:11

Thank gosh a real professional dev came up!!

So @SisKebap, can you clarify us with all your wisdom what are the problems about using WinSCP.

I just looked after some alternative here... As we all know that unfortunately Filezilla will never support a decent dark theme feature.

I didn’t get why you have replied to me with no useful information. Only bringing in some sarcasm and rudeness.

PS: WinSCP: 3,157,597 downloads since 2021-11-25

SisKebap wrote:
2022-01-04 13:40
tiagozn wrote:
2021-11-19 01:21

Enjoy!

Another professional dev here...

I actually signed up here just to thank you, tiagozn!

And to make clear that from now on I will use that well coded software WInSCP with all the features we want from a non-ignorant and non-condescendant developer. :D

bearr
First name: bear
Last name: xyz

#29 Post by bearr » 2022-02-15 06:30

botg wrote:
2020-04-30 06:57
FileZilla uses the colors the operating system says are the colors to be used. Functionality that goes all the way back to Windows 3.1 and works really well and reliably. Unfortunately Microsoft has removed the color configuration dialog from Windows. When Microsoft added Dark Mode, in their infinite wisdom forget about what their operating system is already capable of and implemented something that would require a custom implementation in every single program to opt into dark mode, despite the proper functionality itself being in Windows ever since.
lol you got some vendetta over dark mode for an application?
sorry i am not an old guy stuck in his ways ;) "toy app" lol you're cooked

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

#30 Post by oibaf » 2022-02-15 07:42

FileZilla uses wxWidgets as its GUI framework, so anything related to appearance has to be dealt with within that framework.

Wouldn't it be nice if all the energies you guys poured in this discussion were put in updating wxWidgets to your wishes? Here's a thread for you to start with: https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=47110