Filezilla Client 3.48.0 - Use System Association for opening file

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Mirco75
500 Command not understood
First name: Mirco
Last name: Babin

Filezilla Client 3.48.0 - Use System Association for opening file

#1 Post by Mirco75 » 2020-05-01 05:42

Dear Filezilla community,

Today I installed the new FileZilla Client 3.48.0 because I got an update notification.

Then I wanted to edit the index.htm file. So I rightclicked in the FTP pane the index.htm file and choose for "view/edit". Then there was this dialog asking what to use, so whithout thinking I choose "System Association". And then the index.htm was downloaded and opened in .... yep my browser Chrome ....

So I thought, not what I want, let's try "view/edit" again. But now the dialog is not presented anymore, and the browser is started immediatly. And I really don't want the browser to fire, I want Notepad++ to edit the index.htm file!

So this intermediate dialog is a pain-in-the-ass for me.

Luckily I found the settings file associations setting. So I set it to use "C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe". And to always use the standard editing program.

From a safety perspective this was a really bad decision, to set the default to "System Association". What if I wanted to edit/view a .PS1 (powershell) script and I accidentally choose for "System Association" ? Instead of editing it would execute.

The popupmenu item still reads "bekijken/bewerken" (view/edit). From a FTP Client I never want to "view", I always want to edit. So the text of the menu item is confusing to me.

A solution could be:
- In the FTP pane, on a FTP file, only allow EDIT, never VIEW and never ever System Association. Also rename the menu item to "edit", remove the "view/"
(On a local file, there are already two distinct menu options "Open" and "Edit", so that's ok.)

Kind Regards,
Mirco Babin

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Filezilla Client 3.48.0 - Use System Association for opening file

#2 Post by botg » 2020-05-01 09:29

The dialog has been added precisely so that you can review associations before using them the first time.

If you hold down Shift when selecting VIew/Edit you can make FileZilla think there is no association yet.

Code: Select all

+---------------------------------+-+
|       Confirmation level 5      |X|
+---------------------------------+-+
|                                   |
|   Are you sure you are sure       |
|  about being sure to continue?    |
|                                   |
|         [Ignore] [Yolo] [Apply]   |
+-----------------------------------+

swbrains
500 Syntax error

#3 Post by swbrains » 2020-05-01 17:24

I also installed 3.48.0 today as prompted, but now when I double-click a Perl program file in the local pane, it opens the file in Windows Notepad whereas it had always previously opened it in my Perl Editor. Oddly, FZ correctly shows the Perl Editor application icon for these entries in the local pane. I have not changed my FZ settings recently and it is currently set to "Use file type associations if available".

Does the "Use file type associations if available" setting refer to *system* file type associations or the FZ-settings window: File Editing->File type associations?
Has this functionality changed by design in the new version?

Thanks,
Vinnie

ColoniesChris
First name: Christopher
Last name: Pearson

#4 Post by ColoniesChris » 2020-05-03 19:39

I've got a related problem with the latest update.
  • I right-click on file config.php, click View/Edit, then I get a popup saying there's no system association to edit php files (but there is - it's set to use Wordpad). So I choose the first option, Use system association, which is Wordpad, click OK, then a message box tells me "The file config.php could not be opened; No program has been associated on your system with this file type".
  • So I try again, and this time choose the second option, Use default editor for text files, which is Notepad. Click OK and up pops the exact same message box again.
  • So this time I choose the third option, and use Browse to give it the path to Wordpad - and the result is exactly the same.
But if I download the file, then access it through File Manager, double clicking it opens up Wordpad, exactly as expected.

CianSB

#5 Post by CianSB » 2020-05-03 21:56

Hello, I've just downloaded the last version as you did...

I can't now open my png or jpeg files when I right click on "display/edit", even when I'm selecting preview app in application folder.
I'm kinda disappointed because it used to work with the preview version.

Thanks for any help. I wish you a good day.

ColoniesChris
First name: Christopher
Last name: Pearson

#6 Post by ColoniesChris » 2020-05-04 08:51

ColoniesChris wrote:
2020-05-03 19:39
I've got a related problem with the latest update.
  • I right-click on file config.php, click View/Edit, then I get a popup saying there's no system association to edit php files (but there is - it's set to use Wordpad). So I choose the first option, Use system association, which is Wordpad, click OK, then a message box tells me "The file config.php could not be opened; No program has been associated on your system with this file type".
  • So I try again, and this time choose the second option, Use default editor for text files, which is Notepad. Click OK and up pops the exact same message box again.
  • So this time I choose the third option, and use Browse to give it the path to Wordpad - and the result is exactly the same.
But if I download the file, then access it through File Manager, double clicking it opens up Wordpad, exactly as expected.
I've discovered what seems to be the cause. There's an option in Edit > Settings > File associations which is set to "Do not use default editor". As soon as I changed that to "Use system's default editor", the problem went away. I guess the latest update must have introduced this as either a new setting or a change to the default value, as it's never been a problem before.

Grath
500 Syntax error

#7 Post by Grath » 2020-05-05 17:40

Seeing the same issue as others, although changing the "Default Editor" as ColoniesChris suggested did not offer a true fix. System association of .txt files is Notepad++ as seen below:

screencap1.jpg
screencap1.jpg (7.69 KiB) Viewed 28220 times

Yet FileZilla reports system associate is Notepad.exe as seen below:

screencap2.jpg
screencap2.jpg (42.25 KiB) Viewed 28220 times

So if I go ahead and choose "Use custom program" and browse to C:\Program Files\Notepad++\Notepad++.exe, it WILL work, but now ever time I try to right click and View/Edit, I get both an error message from Filezilla, but also Notepad++ successfully opens the file:

screencap3.jpg
screencap3.jpg (15.02 KiB) Viewed 28220 times

Have not found the magic combination to make this work as intended yet, unfortunately.

th4n4t0s

#8 Post by th4n4t0s » 2020-05-05 18:14

I encountered the same problem with the file assoc.

It seems the concatination for multiple file types is broken.
As soon as you try to open different filetypes Filezilla updates "Edit->Settings->File editing -> Filetype associations"
But it needs one file assoc per line AND THERE IS THE ERROR
The linebreaks won't be set.

So instead of:
css "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.44.0\atom.exe" %f
js "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.44.0\atom.exe" %f
log "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.44.0\atom.exe" %f

Filezilla writes:
css "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.44.0\atom.exe" %fjs "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.44.0\atom.exe" %flog "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.44.0\atom.exe" %f

As soon as you try to edit a css file the whole line will be interpreted as one command - And it rightfully fails to execute.

Should be an easy fix (probably difference between windows and unix line ending encoding)

In the meantime insert the linebreaks manually and it works as expected.

Hope this helps

swbrains
500 Syntax error

#9 Post by swbrains » 2020-05-05 22:12

My problem is unrelated to the file type association list mentioned by th4n4t0s, as I had no entries in this list and it previously used my default editor when opening files, but no longer does after the update. I don't believe the file type association list had any effect on my particular experience, although I was able to enter file type associations in this list now to cause FZ to use the correct program when opening such files. It's just that before I never had such a list and it used the same default system app per my OS file associations.

Also, I had "Use system's default editor" already selected, so I don't believe my problem was due to having "Do not use default editor" selected as mentioned above as a possible cause.

swbrains
500 Syntax error

#10 Post by swbrains » 2020-05-06 18:26

I've reverted to v3.47 and the associations work properly again (according to system-associated app) without any overrides necessary in the FZ association list.

But now every time I launch FZ, it pops up the dialog about a new version available. Is there some way to disable this notification. I selected "Never" for "Check for Filezilla updates automatically" but it still displays the "new version available" dialog each time I launch FZ.

Thanks!

boco
Contributor

#11 Post by boco » 2020-05-07 05:38

Sorry, but we cannot support old versions.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

Grath
500 Syntax error

#12 Post by Grath » 2020-05-07 09:48

Just as an FYI, today's nightly build (05-07-2020) seems to fix all of the file association issues (at least so far as far as I can tell during my testing) so I expect a patch will be released soon.

swbrains
500 Syntax error

#13 Post by swbrains » 2020-05-07 17:27

I installed the latest nightly build from 5/7/2020, but when I try to edit a Perl program file it pops up a dialog saying "no program has been associated to edit files with the extensions 'pl'. There is an option to "use system association" but it shows the default editor for this file type is notepad.exe, which is not correct. If I open a .pl file from Windows Explorer, it opens in my Perl editor app. Additionally, FZ shows the Perl editor app's icon next to each .pl file so it seems to recognize the correct application as the associated app, but doesn't use that app to edit the file.
screencapture_000684.png
screencapture_000684.png (11.94 KiB) Viewed 28053 times
Here is my Windows default app for .pl files:
screencapture_000685.png
screencapture_000685.png (2.3 KiB) Viewed 28053 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#14 Post by botg » 2020-05-08 07:17

The system associations are obtained straight through Windows' official AssocQueryString function. If no system association is shown, either Windows itself is confused (there are for historic reasons so many different places to set associations, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Explorer would do it some old-fashioned way) or the system association itself isn't correct, e.g. it may not be quoted correctly.

zardozlogin

#15 Post by zardozlogin » 2020-05-08 14:48

same problem for me.
i just made the last update.

i usually edit my .cs and json with notepad++
but now i can not view or edit files anymore.

if i right clic then view/edit normally it works directly
now i have this

i tried the 3 proposition, but same answer: