using key AND password

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

hfruchtl
500 Command not understood

using key AND password

#1 Post by hfruchtl » 2020-06-05 16:42

A server I need to connect to requires bots an ssh key and a password. FileZilla seems to only be able to do one or the other. A recent post on this forum said that this would be possible with Pageant, but didn't elaborate how it would be done in practice.

boco
Contributor

Re: using key AND password

#2 Post by boco » 2020-06-05 19:49

You need to set your key in the global FileZilla settings (under the Edit menu), and the password in the Site Manager. The key will then be tried in addition to the password.

There's one caveat, however. The key will be tried against every SFTP server, do, if you have more than one, take this into account.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

G_Hosa_Phat
500 Command not understood
First name: Jeremy
Last name: Gamble

Re: using key AND password

#3 Post by G_Hosa_Phat » 2023-11-09 18:40

boco wrote:
2020-06-05 19:49
There's one caveat, however. The key will be tried against every SFTP server, so, if you have more than one, take this into account.
Perhaps that should be a "feature request" then. Add an option to the Logon Type selection for Key File + Password. Since FileZilla doesn't store the key's password (another potential feature request, I suppose), maybe there could be multiple additional options to match the existing options:
  • Key file + Interactive
  • Key file + Normal (stored password)
  • Key file + Ask for password
Perhaps, instead of being a separate option, there could just be another, persistent field for the selection of a key file when SFTP is selected. Then, if both the key file and password have values, it uses both. If only one or the other has a value, it uses the one that's populated.

I admit that I'm not 100% certain what each does as I generally only use FileZilla for quick testing or checking if my other solutions appear to be failing, so I'm not sure if there's an intentional reason for the design choices there. I just know that I've recently run into this for the first time myself and I'm glad I found this thread, but it would be nice, IMO, if FileZilla didn't try my key against every server just because one of my clients has implemented a (overly-)zealous security model.