Not allowing me to FTP from my external hard drive

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

auralanoue
504 Command not implemented
First name: Laura
Last name: Lanoue

Not allowing me to FTP from my external hard drive

#1 Post by auralanoue » 2020-07-13 17:43

Hello there. I am working on a MacBookPro and using an external Seagate hard drive for file storage. Actually, I am working off the external Seagate drive because it has more memory than my laptop hard drive. FileZilla is not allowing me anymore to select the folders on the Seagate drive so I can update my files to the hosting company's server. It says that I "do not have permission to access this directory." I have been using FileZilla for many years and I am curious to know why this is happening and how I can fix it please.

I renewed my FileZilla subscription through iTunes back on October 24, 2020 and my order ID is <removed>. I tried to register on your FileZilla Pro Customer Support Forum to post this question and get help, but it is not allowing me to register with the only account details I have. I get the following error message:

Your e-mail address or order number could not be verified. Please use the same e-mail address you purchased FileZilla Pro with and enter the order number from your purchase confirmation.

https://customerforum.filezilla-project ... e=register

Thank you in advance for any helpful assistance.

Laura Lanoue
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 9.41.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 9.41.22 PM.png (205.54 KiB) Viewed 6245 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Not allowing me to FTP from my external hard drive

#2 Post by botg » 2020-07-13 19:26

If you are using the app store version, to sign up to the customer forums, use the menu item in the Help menu of FileZilla Pro.

auralanoue

#3 Post by auralanoue » 2020-07-14 03:32

Thanks for your quick reply, but it is not working. I tried to login into the forum with both Google Chrome and Safari. Please advise me on what to do now. I greatly appreciate you help.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.28.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.28.58 PM.png (93.29 KiB) Viewed 6218 times

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2020-07-14 08:29

Please don't post images with details such as email addresses or order numbers.

Before you can log in, you need to sign up.

auralanoue

#5 Post by auralanoue » 2020-07-14 15:27

Hi again. Sorry about the images. I am still seeing this error when I try to register:
Registration using a gmail.com address has been blocked due to massive amount of spambots registering through gmail. Please use an email address from a private or for-pay email hoster instead.
Please note that you will need to enter a valid email address before your account is activated. You will receive an email at the address you provide that contains an account activation link.
My Apple ID has a Gmail account associated with it. Apparently, that is what the problem is. If I try another email address, I get this error:
Your e-mail address or order number could not be verified. Please use the same e-mail address you purchased FileZilla Pro with and enter the order number from your purchase confirmation.

auralanoue

#6 Post by auralanoue » 2020-07-14 15:49

Can someone just email me please with the solution of how to FTP from my external hard drive, or post the answer here please? I would really appreciate that. :?

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2020-07-14 19:19

You should just send your Email address to @botg over Private Message, so he can whitelist it in the consumer forum. Unfortunately, GMail has many spam accounts hammering the forum, so, it is generally blocked.

Once the whitelisting is in place, you'll be able to register there.

@botg: Couldn't you relax the blocks for the customer forum? As I doubt that spammers without valid order numbers will succeed to even register there.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2020-07-14 19:21

auralanoue wrote:
2020-07-14 15:49
Can someone just email me please with the solution of how to FTP from my external hard drive, or post the answer here please? I would really appreciate that. :?
Check the directory permissions item under the Edit menu. You need to explicitly grant access to any directory you want to use, in order to overcome the Apple Sandbox feature.

auralanoue

#9 Post by auralanoue » 2020-07-14 21:52

Hi again. I am not sure what you guys did, but when I opened FileZilla it asked me what directories I want to access and now I can FTP from my external hard drive. However, I still have not been successful registering on the Pro Customer Support Forum with my gmail address and my order number generated by FileZilla. It says that my 'Receipt Validation Successful' and I am following the instructions.

I was using FileZilla on PCs at the office for many years and everything was always smooth. It would be nice if you guys would update FileZilla to be more compatible with iOS because I find that they last a lot longer and preform better over all compared to Windows computers. I have had issues with HP products a few months after purchasing them. So, now I am back where I started... On a Mac and that it where I will be continuing my work until I retire.

Thanks again... Laura :)

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2020-07-14 23:52

Concerning the register issue - please be patient, Admin has not been here, yet. :)

botg
Site Admin

#11 Post by botg » 2020-07-15 07:25

It works just fine for other users. What does it say if you attempt to register at the customer forums?

auralanoue

#12 Post by auralanoue » 2021-01-20 02:20

Hello again. I am having a similar issue as before, not being able to upload files from my Seagate external hard drive that I am working off of. I can see the directory in "directory Access Permissions" and I am able to select it. However, then I don't see any of my files listed below, but it says "You do not have permission to list this directory." This is very frustrating because this is MY hard drive sitting on MY lap with MY own work on it!

Also, I am using Filezilla version 3.52.1 and I don't see an option to update from within the software interface. I am on a MacBook running OS version 10.13.6. I purchased Filezilla from the iTunes Ap Store last April, so my subscription is still good. How can I update Filezilla and get it working again ASAP for me please?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.05.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.05.31 PM.png (324.48 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 6.24.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 6.24.18 PM.png (289.72 KiB) Viewed 5007 times

boco
Contributor

#13 Post by boco » 2021-01-20 03:05

First, FileZilla Pro has its own support forum. You should be able to register and log in there through the Help menu from within FileZilla Pro. Please use the customer forum for any further questions.

Second, as you purchased from the Apple Store, updates will automatically come through the Store, and only through the Store. As the verification process of the Store version can take some time, updates can take a wee bit longer to appear.

Third, make sure you granted permissions to your external storage in the Privacy and Security page of Mac OS's settings. Additionally, for the Store version, you need to grant permissions to the resource again through the Edit menu from within FileZilla. The latter is necessary as Store Apps are restricted by Apple's Sandbox feature, by default.