Filezilla has been great for years as I use it for transferring work related files to and from client servers. I'm using Windows 10 x64 1909.
In this case, the file server is an FTP server that 'requires explicit FTP over TLS' and a login/pwd. Downloads are fine. The uploads HAD been fine. My upload speed is max 3 MByte/second. I usually get 0.5 - 2.5 depending on traffic. Networks have been worse in the last few months. It had been a few weeks since I'd needed to upload files to that server.
Recently the following happens :
- The upload speed is instantly at 80-150 MByte/second.
- The upload completion indicator, the bar for an individual file in the processing queue, fills up in seconds for a 300-400 MB file, which is the filesize I'm usually dealing with atm.
- The upload times out after 10-20 seconds.
- Filezilla retries and asks me to pick Overwrite/resume/etc.
- Right now I have 99 retries configured in preferences because of this, pick Resume and the "Always do this" checkbox option in that dialogue window.
- I tested outside, anonymous FTP connections and local SFTP (Rebex tiny) connections. Those work fine.
- A second ftp client I tested is Total Commander. The same results for FTP over TLS, and the same positive outcomes for FTP and SFTP.
- Most importantly, I am the only user on the clients FTP server this is affecting, so I'm suspecting a system/update screw up or me 'optimizing' something to oblivion since I did get rid of some Windows bloatware recently as well. If only I knew which systems Filezilla relied on for FTP over TLS.
- Downloads and navigation are fine.
What systems does Filezilla rely on for FTP over TLS ? It is the only affected method of filetransfer.