Exported Site Manager Entries and Settings Protected by Master Password - Imported on Another Machine - Passwords Wrong

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

anonhuman
500 Syntax error

Exported Site Manager Entries and Settings Protected by Master Password - Imported on Another Machine - Passwords Wrong

#1 Post by anonhuman » 2020-10-18 20:26

Hi All,

I'm moving from my old Windows 7 PC to a Windows 10 PC (so sad I know), and as a result, I need to export my site entries and import them into FileZilla on the Windows 10 machine. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working. When I import the site manager entries and settings and connect to one of my FTP entries, the master password prompt is shown. I put in the correct master password, and then when FileZilla connects, it uses a super long and incorrect password.
Response: 331 Please specify the password.
Command: PASS ********************************************************************************************************************
Response: 530 Login incorrect.
The passwords do NOT appear to be decoded properly once imported? I see password entries in the exported XML file. But, they are protected by whatever base64 / encryption scheme FileZilla uses. Any idea how I can get the imported sites to work? I would hate to have to go and find all of the passwords for the tons of entries I have...

I saw a few related forum posts, but I couldn't find an answer?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Exported Site Manager Entries and Settings Protected by Master Password - Imported on Another Machine - Passwords Wr

#2 Post by botg » 2020-10-19 13:21

Are you using the latest version of FileZilla, 3.50.0 as of writing this, on both machines?

anonhuman
500 Syntax error

Re: Exported Site Manager Entries and Settings Protected by Master Password - Imported on Another Machine - Passwords Wr

#3 Post by anonhuman » 2020-10-19 14:14

Yes, I am using 3.50.0 on both machines.

I ended up fixing this issue by doing the following on my Windows 10 machine:

1. Uninstall FileZilla.
2. Delete user's AppData\Roaming\FileZilla folder.
3. Delete user's AppData\Local\FileZilla folder.
4. Reinstall FileZilla.
5. Run FileZilla
5. Import FileZilla XML file immediately once the program loads.
6. Exit FileZilla
7. Reopen FileZilla
8. Everything works as expected now.

The issue I reported seems to happen if you create any site profiles protected by the same master password (on the new machine that is the same master password used on the old machine) BEFORE importing the XML file. I'm not sure how FileZilla works internally, but it looks like you have to import the XML file before setting a master password for the current installation even if it's the same master password used on the old machine. Else, you run into this password problem for the imported sites.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2020-10-19 15:38

Thank you for the detailed explanation and the workaround. With this information I was able to reproduce the bug, it will be fixed in the next version.