553 Can't open that file: Permission Denied

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

lbowe95
500 Command not understood
First name: Lexi

553 Can't open that file: Permission Denied

#1 Post by lbowe95 » 2020-10-22 20:19

I was trying to upload an image to my website's directory on FileZilla, but every time I do, this pops up:

Status: Starting upload of C:\Users\16305\Pictures\Blog\Mountain.jpg
Command: CWD /wp-content/uploads/2020/10
Response: 250 OK. Current directory is /wp-content/uploads/2020/10
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (162,241,217,117,179,153)
Command: STOR Mountain.jpg
Response: 553 Can't open that file: Permission denied
Error: Critical file transfer error

In another post, I read that this only happens if your file name contains spaces or special characters, but the file name I'm trying to upload is called Mountains. There are no spaces or special characters in that, so why won't FZ allow me to upload my file?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: 553 Can't open that file: Permission Denied

#2 Post by botg » 2020-10-23 07:59

If the file already exist, you may not have write permission to overwrite it. Likewise, you may not have permissions to write to the target directory.

lbowe95
500 Command not understood
First name: Lexi

#3 Post by lbowe95 » 2020-10-23 14:30

I'm very new to all of this and kind of confused about that. So there is no way for me to upload any images to my WordPress site then? Any time I try to upload any images directly onto Wordpress, it gives me this message: "The uploaded file could not be moved to wp-content/uploads/2020/10." I called Bluehost to ask about it and they advised me to download FileZilla and upload images that way. But when I try to upload them through FileZilla, it won't let me do it there either. I'm not great with all of this tech stuff, so I'm at a complete loss of how to fix this error and be able to upload images to my website. As of now, I haven't been able to upload a single image because I keep running into errors that I have no idea how to fix. I'm confused why I wouldn't have permissions too since I own my Wordpress site and the photos I'm trying to upload are ones that I took myself and therefore, also own.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2020-10-24 03:13

If the upload through Wordpress itself isn't successful either, the problem is not with FileZilla, but with filesystem permissions. Somehow, the path where the images should be stored wasn't correctly CHMODded to be writable. Neither WP nor the FTP server can store any files into a read-only directory.

Do you have direct access to your webspace for doing a CHMOD on the upload directory, in order to make it writable? It might even work through FileZilla, some servers allow this (right click directory - File permissions...).
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org