FileZilla or FileZilla Pro settings on macOS Catalina

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

supergather
500 Command not understood
First name: Alex

FileZilla or FileZilla Pro settings on macOS Catalina

#1 Post by supergather » 2020-11-17 18:44

Hi.

Tried to change some settings after installing Filezilla and it was impossible because Filezilla complains that the "associated program not found" and presented a window with the following:

. /Applications/TextEdit.app %f

asking for review this setting, but this is and egg-or-chicken loop, because you cannot change a setting which is inside the settings file! Looking at that Mac directory, I've found that the TextEdit.app actually wasn't there, but in /System/Applications/TextEdit.app.

Since I work on Unix OS's in a daily basis, I've figured out that a symbolic link could work, like this:

ln -s /System/Applications/TextEdit.app /Applications/TextEdit.app

So I tried it.
Then closed/opened Filezilla and it worked. After that, I went to the Settings window, and changed the TextEdit location to it's real. Then deleted the link.

My question is, is it a bug or an unexpected change from Apple side in Catalina? I don't know if this happens in some other macOS versions too. First time on my Mac and after just upgraded to Catalina. FileZilla or FileZilla Pro had the same issue. Didn't find this in the forum, so I hope it helps.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla or FileZilla Pro settings on macOS Catalina

#2 Post by botg » 2020-11-18 09:01

At some point Apple moved where built-in applications are located to a read-only mount.

The odd thing is that an incorrect setting should not prevent opening the settings dialog of FileZilla, the settings are only validated when saving settings. Which version of FileZilla are you using?

supergather
500 Command not understood
First name: Alex

Re: FileZilla or FileZilla Pro settings on macOS Catalina

#3 Post by supergather » 2020-11-18 13:43

Hi botg.

I'm using 3.51.0, FileZilla Pro.Bought this one because it has OneDrive connection capability and downloaded it from the site, not from Apple Store.
macOS is Catalina, last update. It's working fine, after the "patch" any setting can be changed without any problem so far.
Thanks.