Can't prevent checking for updates

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Johnny Cakes
504 Command not implemented
First name: Johnny
Last name: Cakes

Can't prevent checking for updates

#1 Post by Johnny Cakes » 2021-03-15 18:26

I open/close FileZilla dozens of times per day.

Each time, I get the "Check for Updates: A new version of FileZilla is avaliable." pop-up window.

I have tried to turn off update check:
Edit > Settings > Updates > Check for Updates -- set to "Never"

Granted its a little thing cuz the program works great, but it would be one of those quality of life improvements since I open the program so many times per day.

Thanks!

boco
Contributor

Re: Can't prevent checking for updates

#2 Post by boco » 2021-03-15 20:37

Why don't you simply update? It takes a few seconds, then you'll be on the latest release. The prompts will stop once you are up-to-date.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

Johnny Cakes

#3 Post by Johnny Cakes » 2021-03-15 21:59

Thanks, but is there not a way to disable update checking?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2021-03-15 22:06

People who don't update are on the same level as flat-earthers and anti-vaxxers.

Just. Update. Done.

Johnny Cakes

#5 Post by Johnny Cakes » 2021-03-16 06:02

Wow, tough crowd. Lots of hate toward the question, but no one seems to have the answer.

I shouldn't have to defend the question but I will. FileZilla seems to have a lot of updates. Probably a good thing, who knows? It works 100% fine for me. It's perfect, as is. Our IT department requires one of its techs to participate in loading any software on a company laptop, including updates. Hence the original question.

Please save your keystrokes about how dumb the company I work for is or how I should do exactly what I've specifically said I don't want to do (update). Seriously, just go to the next topic and don't waste your time.

But if anyone is smart enough to have the answer to the question (assuming one exists), I'd appreciate a reply.

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2021-03-16 08:35

The update check option does exactly that: Control the checking for updates. It does not affect showing information about known updates.

FileZilla has fewer updates than Windows. If a company wants to centralize deployment of updates, they can easily do so as part of their monthly Windows patchday routine.

Johnny Cakes

#7 Post by Johnny Cakes » 2021-03-16 15:17

botg wrote:
2021-03-16 08:35
The update check option does exactly that: Control the checking for updates. It does not affect showing information about known updates.
So the program knows about updates without checking? That makes no sense.

The program is clearly evaluating its current version against the latest known version. If that's not "checking" I don't know what is.

botg
Site Admin

#8 Post by botg » 2021-03-16 16:42

If you checked once manually, or before disabling checking for updates, and there was an update available, FileZilla will continue to display this known information. Likewise, the program knows that it is actively being maintained.

Even if not checking for updates, it knows that after some months there surely must be updates. While it cannot tell you what update is available in that case, it can still tell you to update.

Johnny Cakes

#9 Post by Johnny Cakes » 2021-03-16 18:10

botg wrote:
2021-03-16 16:42
Even if not checking for updates, it knows that after some months there surely must be updates
So it doesn't know whether there's an update available, it's just taking a reasonable guess that there is probably an update a available and prompts the user with a pop-up. I don't think I've ever seen that behavior in any other program. Interesting.