Lost Files

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

tmch
500 Command not understood
First name: Charles
Last name: Main-B

Lost Files

#1 Post by tmch » 2021-05-06 10:24

For some reason my web files, located on my computer, are not recognised by FileZilla nor can I open them in Explorer. Is it possible to retrieve the web files 'from' FileZilla to restore them onto my computer?

Any help appreciated - Thanks

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Lost Files

#2 Post by botg » 2021-05-06 15:26

Note that FileZilla is merely the tool you are using to transfer files to/from the server you are connecting to.

You can use FileZilla to transfer files in both directions. If they are still on the server, you can download them from there.

tmch

#3 Post by tmch » 2021-05-07 11:05

That is such a relief...would I be best loading them into a new file or 'replacing' into the original file?

Have been into FileZilla and can you explain how I do that...sorry to be a nuisance but this isn't really my area, amazed I got the site up in the first place! I think I highlight the top Remote Site folder and right click 'download' is that correct?

Thanks again - Charles

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2021-05-08 00:28

Yes, that'll work, although it will create the top directory name locally and place all files inside. So, for example, a top directory "htdocs" will be created at the local side and all files and subdirectories will be placed inside that.
If you know that the files on the server work (website functional), you can safely overwrite local files. If the resulting local files still cannot be opened, the problem aren't the files but filetype associations. In other words, the files might not be associated with a program anymore. Especially in Windows, that can happen if you uninstalled a browser/web editor and the associations weren't properly handed back to the previous program (orphaned associations).
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

tmch

#5 Post by tmch » 2021-05-09 14:39

BOTG & BOCO - :done: Thank you so much, files restored, they were on my OneDrive and now reside in C, and backed up! Can't thank you guys enough...Take Care Charles