Getting contradictory messages about opening default associated filetype

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

fizavu
504 Command not implemented
First name: Cyna
Last name: Stayu

Getting contradictory messages about opening default associated filetype

#1 Post by fizavu » 2021-05-10 15:09

I right-click a .txt file on a remote FTP server, select View/Edit, get the pop-up asking me what to open it with:

No program has been associated to edit files with the extension 'txt'.
Select how these files should be opened.
([selected]) Use system association
The default editor for this file type is: /System/Applications/TextEdit.app %f
() Use default editor for text files
The default editor for text files is: /System/Applications/TextEdit.app %f
[grayed out] [] Always use selection for all unassociated files
() Use custom program
[input box] Browse [button]

Cancel [button] OK [button]

Clicking OK with that default selected shows:

Opening failed
The file 'ABC.txt' could not be opened: No program has been associated on your system with this file type.

The 1st pop-up box finds my default .txt app... the 2nd indicates FileZilla forgot the .txt app it found.

What is going on? I'm sure I can manually select the same found default app, but this looks like a bug. I'm on macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

I went into Settings > File editing > Filetype associations, to add it manually, and it's already there!

Any other option that I select in the 1st pop-up prompt gives me the same error message, even if I manually select TextEdit or another compatible app (like TextMate) through the Browse button using Finder.

EDIT: For whatever reason, the attached files are appearing in the opposite order that I attached them, even though the error message image was attached separately after the edit prompt pop-up image.
Attachments
custom filetype associations - TextEdit already there.png
custom filetype associations - TextEdit already there.png (479.22 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
no program associated after seeing default TextEdit.png
no program associated after seeing default TextEdit.png (153.69 KiB) Viewed 2064 times
No program associated to edit files with extension - Use system association.png
No program associated to edit files with extension - Use system association.png (42.27 KiB) Viewed 2064 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Getting contradictory messages about opening default associated filetype

#2 Post by botg » 2021-05-10 21:07

Which version of FileZilla are you using?

Marcello
500 Command not understood
First name: Marcello
Last name: D

#3 Post by Marcello » 2021-10-03 17:27

Hello,

I have exactly the same happening as described by OP: I'm on MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina, and using FileZilla 3.55.1

In my case I was trying to open a .php in BBEdit, with the same result --- BBEdit being my system's default for .php, and TextEdit being the second suggestion: Neither works. The third option (i.e., choosing the app by browsing & clicking) also fails for any choice of app (BBEdit or TextEdit or Firefox).

All the best,
Michel

Marcello
500 Command not understood
First name: Marcello
Last name: D

#4 Post by Marcello » 2021-10-13 12:30

I'm suspecting it is caused by Catalina's privacy/security settings.

I'm working from a completely new computer and still after weeks, I'm occasionally asked "Application XX asks permission to access folder YY, cancel/yes?"... just because I've not used that program with a file in that folder.

So I'm wondering if it's because FileZilla is trying to write a file to my Temp directory, and I've never given it access to that directory. On the other hand, I've never had a problem dragging an online folder to anywhere on my desktop with FileZilla, which should give the same problem.