SSH Tunnel

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Hubert1965
500 Command not understood
First name: Hubert
Last name: Schölnast

SSH Tunnel

#1 Post by Hubert1965 » 2021-05-12 17:56

I've been using FileZilla for years to connect to my own remote server, but now I need to connect to another server via SSH tunnel, and I don't know how.

I can connect to the desired computer with simple shell commands:

1. from my local computer (MacOS) to the gateway (Ubuntu):

Code: Select all

> ssh publicuser@public.gateway.university.edu
When I enter the password for publicuser I'm logged in the gateway computer. There I can perform the second step:

2. from the gateway (Ubuntu) to the target (Ubuntu):

Code: Select all

> ssh internaluser@protected.internal.server
This internal user has another password. When I enter it, I'm logged in on the protected server. I've reached my goal and can to what I want to do there.

But now I want to use FileZilla to move files from my local computer (MacOS) to the target computer (Ubuntu). So, I need to connect to protected.internal.server via public.gateway.university.edu with two different User-IDs as described above. How can I do this with FileZilla?

boco
Contributor

Re: SSH Tunnel

#2 Post by boco » 2021-05-12 19:45

FileZilla only supports SFTP. It does not support SSH/SSH2. It might work over an already established tunnel connection, but it can definitely not build SSH tunnels by itself.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Hubert1965

#3 Post by Hubert1965 » 2021-05-13 03:49

boco wrote:
2021-05-12 19:45
It might work over an already established tunnel connection
How? This would be an acceptable solution.

Let's assume, I've already established such a connection from a shell in macOS to the target computer as described in my first posting. How can I tell FileZille to use this existing connection?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2021-05-14 07:30

SSH port forwarding. Enter the forwarded port on localhost in FileZilla, not the target address/port.

You could even use SSH's dynamic port forwarding, where you SSH client acts as a SOCKS5 proxy which you can then configure in FileZilla.

Hubert1965

#5 Post by Hubert1965 » 2021-05-14 09:38

Since I didn't get an answer here, I posted my question also on superuser.com and there I've got an answer.
Read my question and the answer here: FileZilla: connect from macOS via gateway to target