Cant upload my private key .ppk file to SFTP section

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

foxyyyyyy

Cant upload my private key .ppk file to SFTP section

#1 Post by foxyyyyyy » 2021-05-14 11:26

Hello there, I'm trying to follow a guide which involves using FileZilla and I'm stuck at a point.

Basically on this page:

I'm meant to upload my private key I made on PuTTY Key Generator. As far as i know i did every step correctly and have a .ppk file of my Private key. however when i click the "Add Key file" button it opens a window, and i click on the file, but when i click open or select or double click it to confirm my selection the window closes and nothing appears in the centre box. The box with "Filename" "comment" "data" ect, that box. Nothing comes up in it. And when i try connect to my server later i get errors like this:

Any ideas what to do? Im new to all this so please put if simply if you can. Thank you so much for your time.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Cant upload my private key .ppk file to SFTP section

#2 Post by botg » 2021-05-14 15:02

Which version of FileZilla are you using?

foxyyyyyy

#3 Post by foxyyyyyy » 2021-05-14 19:13

botg wrote:
2021-05-14 15:02
Which version of FileZilla are you using?
the latest version

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2021-05-17 07:58

What is the latest version? Sorry if I have to ask, we had cases where users had massively outdated versions yet claimed they had the "latest".

Suzaku
500 Command not understood
First name: Alex
Last name: B

#5 Post by Suzaku » 2021-06-08 09:33

You may need to check your version of PuTTY as well. From version 0.75 a new private key format (PPK v3) is used by default, but FileZilla (at least as at the current latest version - 3.54.1) does not yet support this version.
It will fail silently when trying to save a PPK v3 key, either in the key pool, or in the site profile.

You can force PuTTYgen to save the key in the old format (v2) by following the instructions here: https://ccportal.ims.ac.jp/en/node/2914