Dark Mode Windows 10 (Reprise) + Complaint

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Yasahiro
500 Command not understood
First name: Oliver
Last name: Booth

Dark Mode Windows 10 (Reprise) + Complaint

#1 Post by Yasahiro » 2021-08-19 02:54

I'm going to bump/necro/whatever a "dead" thread which just consisted of one of the site admins being arrogant, ignorant, and condescending.
The thread got locked either because of inactivity, or because the admin stuck his fingers in his ears not wanting to listen to why he was wrong and locked it out of spite. Who knows!

So anyways. Dark theme is being fobbed off because Windows doesn't natively support changing OS colours or some crap like that.

However there is a native system setting in Windows which lets users switch between dark/light theme.

Aah wait. But botg said
> With that dialog in Windows you are only configuring the color scheme for UWP apps

Wait that can't be right, can it? Is that... a win32 app which honours this very setting??

I'm sorry, what was that about only affecting UWP apps?

So FileZilla. Dark theme. Yes. It should be a thing, and there is no reason in 2021 for it not to be a thing. Accessibility is important.

botg I speak directly to you, if you are reading this:
Telling users to go change a registry key instead of actually taking the time and effort to implement something that is supported in literally every web browser and development app, speaks volumes about your competency. Or is it just laziness?
You're essentialy crying out wAaAa iT'S ToO HaRd (which by the way it really isn't; hello yes, an actual developer here) and all it shows is that you have no idea of the BS you're spewing out.
While we're at it, I would actually appreciate a response to the several people who testified about dark theme being an accessibility feature and not a fun little pointless option.
The fact you refused to comment on any of them gives me a strong feeling that you know it's true, but are so stubborn that you embarrassingly stick to easily-refutable arguments that make no sense.

boco
Contributor

Re: Dark Mode Windows 10 (Reprise) + Complaint

#2 Post by boco » 2021-08-19 05:48

First, look at when that statement was written. 2019. Then, it was true.

Second, taking Explorer as example? You know who wrote it? Explorer is not a true Win32 application anymore, it is kind of a hybrid. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, chose to only "bless" UWP and Centennial apps (Win32 applications packaged into a UWP framework) with their Dark Mode. FileZilla is a true Win32 application (some would say "legacy") and thus not affected by that Dark Mode setting.
Win32 applications use the legacy color settings of the OS. If you tweak those, FileZilla will follow suite (as will all the other true Win32 applications). Ms has hidden them from settings, however, so, need to use third-party software.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Yasahiro
500 Command not understood
First name: Oliver
Last name: Booth

#3 Post by Yasahiro » 2021-08-30 22:01

It's really not that hard to add in support for UI styling per-application.

I reiterate my message to botg:
Telling users to go change a registry key instead of actually taking the time and effort to implement something that is supported in literally every web browser and development app, speaks volumes about your competency. Or is it just laziness?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2021-08-31 07:57

The system dictates which colors to use, it has an API for that since at least Windows 3.1

Blame Microsoft for not using this perfectly fine functionality of their own operating system.