Can't connect to server

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

mcmarkin
500 Command not understood
First name: Michelle
Last name: Markin

Can't connect to server

#1 Post by mcmarkin » 2021-12-29 10:02

Hello, Filezilla Client was working perfectly fine before Christmas but now it will not connect to the server. I am on the latest version and nothing has changed. Any ideas as I really need to do some work!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Can't connect to server

#2 Post by botg » 2021-12-29 10:32

If nothing has changed on your end, has something changed server-side?

riomaha
First name: R
Last name: Z

#3 Post by riomaha » 2021-12-31 21:34

I am experiencing similar things too and spent hours to no avail.

I have a network with fortieth router connected to a cisco network switch. Behind the switch, there are two pcs and two imaging machines that connect to one of the two through frp on port 21. All was working fine till I decided to replace the switch with another Cisco (used) but with more ports yesterday. I am able to go on the internet, ping machines, and print. However, the imaging machines stopped talking to ftp server (filezilla) that is run on one of the two pcs. In Filezilla log screen no traces of trying to connect while I can connect from command prompt and IE.

Thinking it was the switch, I put back the old and tried connecting from imaging machines. Still no luck. The old switch didn't get reset. So it should have worked. The only difference is possibly the ports which those imaging machines and pc connected to. Imaging machines use a static ip which is defined in fortinet router. The only thing I didnt do was restart the router.

Windows firewall which is the only one used has a port 21 allowed on all networks and a passive ports are also enabled even though not in use.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2022-01-03 11:26

However, the imaging machines stopped talking to ftp server (filezilla) that is run on one of the two pcs. In Filezilla log screen no traces of trying to connect while I can connect from command prompt and IE.
Very much sounds like the traffic is dropped somewhere.

twbrooks4
First name: Thomas
Last name: Brooks

#5 Post by twbrooks4 » 2022-10-10 18:43

Disable the FTP inspection in Service Policy Rules. Look under the Global: group_policy -> rule actions un-check the ftp inspection.

See if that addresses the issue.

georgetod
First name: George
Last name: Tod

#6 Post by georgetod » 2022-10-10 22:08

Hi, I have been trying to get Filezilla working on my new Windows 12 laptop. It is working perfectly well on my old Windows 11 laptop. It works fine on one website but can't connect to the server on a second website. I have checked that all the details are exactly the same (apart from the password which is not visible though I think this is correct).
I tried the Network configuration wizard and it failed saying that my IP address was incorrect but as far as I can see it is correct and the same IP address works with the connection to my first website. Also, when I try the wizard from my Windows 11 laptop with the exact same options, that fails in the same way even though it connects perfectly well to both websites.
I have looked through every option and setting on the two laptops and they are the same. If I have made a mistake with the password, I would not expect it to come up with an IP error.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
George

georgetod
First name: George
Last name: Tod

#7 Post by georgetod » 2022-10-11 21:29

Further to my previous post, I have gone through all options trying to connect but it was just the simple thing of the wrong password for the account on the server. The use of the wizard just confused things as that doesn't seem to work for anything and gives misleading information in the process.
George

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2022-10-11 23:35

The Network wizard is not misleading. However, it only checks for proper Active mode configuration, that's what it is for. Most users use Passive mode which doesn't require any client configuration at all.

So, the IP problem reported is real, but it doesn't apply to you because you are using Passive mode.

Btw., could I get a copy of Windows 12? :D
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

lucasBB22

Re: Can't connect to server - FTP + PLC

#9 Post by lucasBB22 » 2022-10-20 12:53

Hi everyone, that is my first post here.

I'm using an application that has a PLC as the FTP server (PLC model: ABB PLC PM590-ETH) and, through FileZilla, I access the PLC and get some data from the memory. In the last few weeks the system has worked pretty well, but now (for no specific reason) the FileZilla is no longer able to connect with the PLC. I have checked (pinging) and the PLC is proporly connected in the network and with the HMI.

I don't see a clear error message or something like that, just:

"Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Could not connect to server

Someone can help me with that?

Thanks!