Yes Prompt delay

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

ZillaFox
500 Syntax error
First name: Chris
Last name: Fox

Yes Prompt delay

#1 Post by ZillaFox » 2022-04-15 23:54

When I run FZ, open a remote file with Geany, edit it then save the file, it takes a random length of time for the FZ Yes Prompt to appear, but when I close Geany, then click save on the save file prompt, the FZ yes prompt appears instantly. Can anyone advise what the problem is. It's as though Geany is locking the file for 1 to 12 seconds. Waiting 12 seconds for the prompt is BAD NEWS CITY :(

I wrote a script to acknowledge the yes prompt with an automated RETURN which works a treat, at first I thought it may have been this, but the delay happens regardless.

I'm running Mint 20.3 UNA with FileZilla 3.46.3
I'm a bit rubbish at installing apps on linux, I can't even install the latest FZ, 3.59.0 (at the time of writing!!) Can anyone advise me ? I have looked at examples on Google and had a quick look here, I've opened the tar.bz2 file and tried the tar -xf *****.tar.bz2, but I'm stuck. I think I first installed FZ from Software Manager, I had a look there too, but it's not 3.59.0

Please help this clown :oops:

ZillaFox
500 Syntax error

Re: Yes Prompt delay

#2 Post by ZillaFox » 2022-04-16 08:21

I just uninstalled Geany and set FileZilla to use XED. This does exactly the same thing. Is there a FZ setting somewhere :?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2022-04-16 16:44

For performance reason the modification check is only done once in a while if FileZilla is not in the foreground.

ZillaFox
500 Syntax error

#4 Post by ZillaFox » 2022-04-19 18:02

Aha... Thanks for that. Now it makes sense!
I've been trying to find out what my problem was and I discovered when I click the FZ title the prompt appears immediately but anywhere else on the FZ window and nothing happens, then the prompt pops up after about 15 seconds.

I eventually managed to update to 3.59 by putting the unpackaged files straight into /opt. This was recommended on a forum somewhere.
It seems to all work nicely, except for the upload prompt which now takes several minutes to appear, if at all, but now I know to click the title for for an instant prompt, Happy days...

Great piece of software, thank you for creating it 8) 8)

ZillaFox
500 Syntax error

#5 Post by ZillaFox » 2022-04-19 18:20

More testing....
Instant prompt when clicking title or Menu Bar, both where the mouse pointer turns into a hand for moving the window. No clicky hand, No prompt for clicky :D

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2022-04-20 08:36

Strange, the timer is started, but the event isn't triggered. This will be fixed in the next version.

Atsun
500 Command not understood
First name: Atsun
Last name: I2da

#7 Post by Atsun » 2022-04-22 06:18

But in my environment, no matter how long I wait, I won't be prompted unless I click on the FZ title.
Is this the timer (or trigger) that will be fixed in the next version?

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2022-04-24 15:06

The timer starting is correct, but the event not triggering is the bug. Next version, the upload event will trigger, even when not bringing FileZilla to the foreground.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

epicurius7
First name: David
Last name: Moodie

#9 Post by epicurius7 » 2022-05-04 05:39

As a temp workaround, I've found you can force the upload prompt to appear by opening the 'Show files currently being edited...' dialog with Ctrl/⌘+E and then closing it again.

l3x4ur1n

#10 Post by l3x4ur1n » 2022-06-01 06:19

I reinstalled my Win10 device and installed FileZilla, but it's acting differently from what I'm used to. Previously when I saved the file the Upload file prompt automatically popped up. Now, when I save the file, the prompt takes it's time, exactly like you describe. I click everywhere around the app, even the title part, but the prompt is not triggered. I try to save the file multiple times and sometimes it works, more often it doesn't. I tried the workaround mentioned by epicurius7 (opening the 'Show files currently being edited...' dialog), but that also doesn't work for me.

But I found a workaround that works for me - When I ALT+TAB from the Visual Studio Code window to FileZilla window the prompt pops up immediately every time.

Arneus
First name: Arneus
Last name: Zilla

#11 Post by Arneus » 2023-08-05 01:13

Return as it was in the old versions! This delay is not needed! Very unnerving. Clicks on the window do not help, I always do them. I don't want to wait 10 seconds each time for the confirmation box to pop up.
Tell me, on which old version did it work fine? I want to install it.

A very long time ago they broke the return to a higher level, now it remembers the position of the scroll carriage. This is also unnecessary and inconvenient, you have to endlessly scroll up when returning.

Author, is it convenient for you to use your product this way?