New Error Message

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Jerry Gerber
500 Command not understood
First name: Jerry
Last name: Gerber

New Error Message

#1 Post by Jerry Gerber » 2022-04-18 19:23

I suddenly, after many years of using Filezilla and the same server, am getting a message saying that the "server's certificate is unknown".

I contacted my server but they deny any changes have been made on their end, and there have been no changes to my website, my network or any of my OS settings.

The server told me to change FTP to SFTP and I changed each site's protocol from FTP to SFTP. At first I got a message saying something to the effect of that there's no guarantee that I will reach the site I am trying to reach, but then it went ahead and loaded the site without the error message.

Is everything OK now?

I included .pdf's of the original error message and the one I received after switching over to SFTP.

Thank you very much for any help!
Jerry
Attachments
Original Error Message.pdf
(116.77 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
FTP Error.pdf
(79.58 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: New Error Message

#2 Post by botg » 2022-04-19 12:34

Note the red part in the error message, the server's certificate is expired. Your server administrator or server hosting provider needs to renew the certificate.

FileZilla uses user-guided trust on first use (TOFU). You need to verify that the displayed fingerprint matches the fingerprint you have received from the server administrator or server hosting provider over a secure channel, e.g. on a piece of paper handed over in person.

Jerry Gerber
500 Command not understood
First name: Jerry
Last name: Gerber

Re: New Error Message

#3 Post by Jerry Gerber » 2022-04-19 16:34

#2 Unread post by botg » 2022-04-19 05:34

Dear botg,
Thanks for explaining that to me. It really helps.
Best,
JG