FTPs max speeds

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Dredlock1
500 Command not understood
First name: bob
Last name: Jones

FTPs max speeds

#1 Post by Dredlock1 » 2022-05-11 13:23

I'm wondering what people have gotten in terms of MegaBYTES (not bits) per second FTPs speeds sending to the server.

I'm using Filezilla server .960 beta on a Hex core xeon
I'm sending from 1 Gigabit Fiber to home cable (500Mbit)
Using TLS 1.2 and 1.0 sending one 15 GB file I get from 6 to 13 Megabytes/sec

Now from the same office Host using another VM for Turnkey Nextcloud (Https) I can receive the same file at 80 MB/sec or roughly 8x faster.

I'm sending 1 large file not lots of tiny ones. It could be 12 MB/sec is the limit of FTPs .

Was curious if anyone with good fiber has tested MAX speed of large single files over FTPs or SFTP if yes please state your max sustained rates in Megabytes/sec.

Thanks!

boco
Contributor

Re: FTPs max speeds

#2 Post by boco » 2022-05-11 14:12

You should at least test with the latest versions. FileZilla is at 3.59.0 and FileZilla Server is at 1.4.1 ATM. You also need to experiment with the buffer settings in the server, as the defaults are not optimal for broadband.
For single large files, with enough resources, FTP can max out any connection, as the overhead is negligible. FTP ain't good for large numbers of small files, however, then, the overhead can top the payload.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Dredlock1
500 Command not understood
First name: bob
Last name: Jones

#3 Post by Dredlock1 » 2022-05-11 14:58

I am all ears for a suggestion of buffer size settings that work better for large single files.
I've not seen anyone actually get more the 12 MB/sec FTPs speeds in real world testing. Not saying its not possible just have not seen anyone be able to do it. I'm talking SFTP or FTPs not FTP (no tls) . There is some overhead.

I would be thrilled to get 80MB/sec like I do with my nextcloud.

Will have to check out the newer versions.

BTW whats the fastest you have tested FTPs at?

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2022-05-24 20:38

I am all ears for a suggestion of buffer size settings that work better for large single files.
Not possible, as it depends on your bandwidth-delay product. You need to experiment, double the values and see if it is faster. Keep increasing until there's no gain anymore.
I've not seen anyone actually get more the 12 MiB/sec FTPs speeds in real world testing. Not saying its not possible just have not seen anyone be able to do it. I'm talking SFTP or FTPs not FTP (no tls) . There is some overhead.
SFTP (SSH2) is generally a bit slower. FTPS should be as fast as FTP on modern hardware. Encryption done on-the-fly works much faster if the CPU has hardware support for it.
FTPS speed of ~12MB/s sound like there is a packet-processing firewall and/or AV scanner present. These can have a huge impact. The limit is usually per-file.
BTW whats the fastest you have tested FTPs at?
Approx 110MiB/s over LAN (theoretical limit is 125MiB/s on a 1Gib/s NIC). To be fair, that was reached only with multiple files transferred at once. My bottleneck is not network, but my mechanical HDDs.
Usual speed transferring things to my NAS: 4 files transferred at once, ~20MiB/s per file. That's roughly the 80MiB/s.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org