Website totally blank after uploading new files under public_html

Post all HTML related questions here. No support.

Moderator: Project members

Atlas07
500 Command not understood
First name: Alex
Last name: B

Website totally blank after uploading new files under public_html

#1 Post by Atlas07 » 2022-08-13 15:32

Hello!

I had to create a simple website on Wordpress for school and now that it was ready, I transferred all the dev files (public_html) onto the prod, because we can't just change the URLs, and we want to keep the prod URL. So, I copied all files on my computer (in case I made mistakes, which it seems I did), deleted the prod files and added the dev files (all only under public_html). Also, I made sure to change the DB_Name/user/password of the wp-config file for the prod ones (because it would only redirect to the dev website if I had not changed them). However, now, the prod website is completely blank, as if there was nothing. When I try to right click, see source code, there is literally nothing, no lines. I can access the Wordpress 'backend', but it's as if nothing changed : all the 'old' pages and articles are there, and I can edit them, but I can't 'View' them, it's all blank. No other sign of the transfer or any of the dev content.

I am a simple communication student and I had to create this website for a nonprofit organization, this is literally my last task before graduating. I tried getting help from my tech university center (as the hosting is from our university), but they told me this is not part of what they help for. I tried getting help from the database software, but it's Ajaxplorer and I learnt it hasn't been supported since at least 5 years. Any help or information will be very much appreciated - even if it's telling me who I should be asking for help! I'm completely lost and don't know where to go from here. I understand Wordpress, but I was not ready to have so much trouble with simply the website transfer (I thought we could just change the URLs...)

Thank you very much!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Website totally blank after uploading new files under public_html

#2 Post by botg » 2022-08-15 07:29

Maybe the webserver logs have the answer.

If the server logs are inconclusive, I recommend restoring the most recent known-good backup.