File-sharing with third parties

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Mediamodo
500 Command not understood

File-sharing with third parties

#1 Post by Mediamodo » 2022-08-27 08:54

I downloaded and installed client and server, set client to passive mode, added port range to settings, set server up with user name, password and parameters as instructed in several tutorial videos on Youtube. I can log into and access my own client account via the local host address. I can successfully log into the Filezilla server on my device. However, I cannot connect the client to a remote server in order to transfer files via the Filezilla server nor to other computers on my home network.

Additionally, I have created a private FTP server on Windows 7 and can successfully run it but do not know how to share files on my home network with it, nor how to allow others permission to download files from my computer.

Can someone please explain exactly what settings I need on both server and client in order to:

A. Upload and download files to the Filezilla server.
B. Share files to other computers on my home LAN.
C. Share files with remote computers via Filezilla client/server (or any other third-party FTP client) and my own Windows 7 server.
D. What host name on the client side should be for each contingency.

Particularly, please specify what I.P. address must be in the host field on the client side in each instance.

Please also note, this would NOT presently be for uploading files to a website address. Most of the written tutorials I found on the web seem to address this objective only. My goal at this point is to share large files with third-parties via Filezilla server/client OR by giving permission third parties to log into my Windows 7 FTP server to download files.

I have searched high and low on the web and find multitudes of videos on Youtube about Filezilla client and server installation and setup, but virtually nothing on how to use the system for simple file-sharing. I find this curious, considering the plethora of tutorials on almost any kind of application software usage, programming and other computer skills. I would be interested to know the thoughts of others on this as well.

Finally, if someone could provide step-by-step instructions for my future reference on how to set up secure file-sharing via SFTP and/or FTPS, that would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: File-sharing with third parties

#2 Post by botg » 2022-08-29 06:03

You need to update to a more modern operating system. Windows 7 is no longer supported.