Drag and Drop not working windows 11

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied
First name: Hugh
Last name: Kallen

Drag and Drop not working windows 11

#1 Post by Hugh_K » 2022-09-09 14:44

Windows 11, newest version (Sept 09, 2022) version of Filezilla.

As many of us have figured out, drag and drop in windows 11 is basically disabled. But I have loaded an amazing open source utility called explorerpatcher which restores a lot of windows 10 functionality to windows 11, including drag and drop for file explorer windows. https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

However, I am unable to drag from the FileZilla remote site box to a windows file explorer window. I can drag to the filezilla local site folder just fine.

Are others having this issue? Is there a fix?

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied

Re: Drag and Drop not working windows 11

#2 Post by Hugh_K » 2022-10-06 20:11

Any update on this, or is this just the way it goes now?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2022-10-07 12:45

Is the FileZilla shell extension installed, and did you reboot since installing FileZilla?

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2022-10-07 13:56

The normal File Explorer is a UWP app now, so, there might be problems. Will have to set up a test install in order to... test.

If EP restores the Win32 version of Explorer or it still is UWP, remains to be checked.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied

#5 Post by Hugh_K » 2022-10-07 14:30

boco wrote:
2022-10-07 13:56
The normal File Explorer is a UWP app now, so, there might be problems. Will have to set up a test install in order to... test.

If EP restores the Win32 version of Explorer or it still is UWP, remains to be checked.
A little more info for your testing:

With my setup (using EP), I can drag from a windows 11 explorer window to the FZ remote site files window and the files are uploaded to my server.

I cannot drag from the FZ remote site files server window to a windows 11 explorer window and have the files download - I see a stop sign symbol 🚫.

Thanks for your attention to this! :hammer:
botg wrote:
2022-10-07 12:45
Is the FileZilla shell extension installed, and did you reboot since installing FileZilla?
Tell me how to determine if the shell extension is installed. I installed FZ several weeks ago, not sure what options I chose. I just keep letting FZ update to the newest version.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2022-10-07 17:04

Just tested with 22621.525. Drag and Drop fully works, both with the original File Explorer and with the one from EP. No matter if local or remote side.
Then, I re-ran Setup and removed the shell extension. Now, FileZilla showed the same behavior you witnessed.

So, you are indeed missing the shell extension. You need to re-run Setup, select "Add or remove components", and make sure the checkbox named "Shell extension" is ticked.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied

#7 Post by Hugh_K » 2022-10-07 17:50

boco wrote:
2022-10-07 17:04
Just tested with 22621.525. Drag and Drop fully works, both with the original File Explorer and with the one from EP. No matter if local or remote side.
Then, I re-ran Setup and removed the shell extension. Now, FileZilla showed the same behavior you witnessed.

So, you are indeed missing the shell extension. You need to re-run Setup, select "Add or remove components", and make sure the checkbox named "Shell extension" is ticked.
Excellent! Like a dummy I must have unchecked that for some reason when I installed. I reran setup checking shell extension as suggested, and after a reboot it is working perfectly.

Thanks for your assistance and patience.