Username Containing "\" is not being sent through properly

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

curtisscholl
500 Command not understood
First name: Curtis
Last name: Scholl

Username Containing "\" is not being sent through properly

#1 Post by curtisscholl » 2022-09-12 18:28

To whom it concerns:

I just bought Filezilla Pro CLI because the company I work for uses it as a standard. I have been trying to set up a script to move files from the company to a secure SFTP site.

I was given a username to use for that certain company's SFTP site. When I attempt to use that name in a user site, one character is omitted every time and in every variation of presentation. The user name contains the special character "\" and it will not pass through in its entirety.

1. Why is Filezilla command line execution stripping this character?
2. How can I mitigate this issue as it it causing some consternation.

I have tried wrapping the username in double and single quotes as a string and still the special character gets deleted, I have tried placing the special character in quotes but the username gets shortened,

I need to use the FZCLI Pro as a standard for this company and need a work around.

Thanks in advance

Curtis Scholl

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Username Containing "\" is not being sent through properly

#2 Post by botg » 2022-09-12 19:20

\ is the escapement character. To use a literal backslash you need to escape it with a second backslash.

curtisscholl
500 Command not understood
First name: Curtis
Last name: Scholl

#3 Post by curtisscholl » 2022-09-12 20:22

Thanks

I gave that a try and it worked.
I am guessing that the escapement character comes from a Linux\Unix based set of rules?

Thank you !

Curtis Scholl

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2022-09-12 21:47

Yep. *NIX / POSIX allows a lot more characters to be used than Windows. To my knowledge, in the *NIX file system, only two are actually forbidden in file and directory names (these being the binary zero 0x00 and the slash 0x2f which is the path separator).

Some characters still function as control characters and have to be escaped if you want to use it as literal. The escape character is the backslash (0x5c), so, for getting an actual backslash and not just the control character, it must be escaped with itself.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org