cant connect to host

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Kaywoo
504 Command not implemented
First name: Iris
Last name: Wood

cant connect to host

#1 Post by Kaywoo » 2022-09-24 10:42

I have worked all day and night with my host provider. I haven't used FileZilla for a couple of years. My host has an SSL certificate which my website users (I think). He can get in using another FTP programme but using his direction I cannot. When I put ftp.example.com into Host it changes to
sftp://USERNAME@ftp.mywebsite

The username is a shortened version of my website. It only happened with this new version. Instead of username, it was my website name which it should be.
I have been so long finishing a project that I am still using windows7 64-bit. to run an old programme. I had to download the latest Filezilla to use the forum.

Can someone make any suggestions, please?
Why can my hosting provider get in and I can not? It must be FileZilla. I couldn't find out if 3.6 was compatible with windows 7.

kind regards
Kaywoo

Kaywoo

Re: cant connect to host

#2 Post by Kaywoo » 2022-09-25 01:51

Re above

Sorry folks

My problem turned out to be with Frontpage. I manage to get the page I wanted to publish but spent days and only connected once. I used front page remote which was the problem. My host has SSL and I get https.

thanks in advance

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2022-09-26 07:26

Frontpage still exists? I thought it had been discontinued 15 years ago.

Kaywoo

Re: rcant connect to host

#4 Post by Kaywoo » 2022-09-26 11:16

Yes, it doesn't exist anymore but I am using it and managed to upload an important file this morning.No idea how. I have been very sick and I had hoped it wouldn't give up. My genealogy package was about to give up too but I have finished with it.

Since I posted I found someone had added 30 new files. It looks like they are setting up a template. There is no company name or seems harmless. I removed about 30 including pictures. Just birds and things that were there originally. I cleaned it up and once I managed to upload a file but I still didn't have Filezilla up.
So don't know how it got there. I have 311.5 gigabytes in the queue!!!

I have been working with my host. They have an SSL certificate. My files are HTTP and they have to change to HTTPS. I don't handle money or new letters.
I am writing a book and I am now at the advertising stage so it is crucial I fix this or I will have to set up a new site on mail chimp. I have been three days at it and cannot afford any more time. My host has always been very good. It is a small company. But he doesn't know FrontPage. For some strange reason while I was unwell I used "remote" to upload and have never done this.

Now I think maybe Filezilla 6 is too advanced. I had to download the latest to use the forum. So now I think there is a FileZilla problem.I am using quick connect. I now have a better idea of what is happening. These are the settings my host gave me but when I put them in they change.

Host = ftp.websitename.com User name Password (had it for years) and port and quick connect
It changes the hostname to sftp://stp.website.com Then when it comes to Port 22 it disappears after connecting. Port 21 gives a huge pop-up telling me this is not valid. It doesn't come up in the screenshot. Just one long sentence.

Under connect, in the drop-down menu, I did see it in the host long enough to copy it. It shows up as sftp://USERNAME@ftp.WEBSITENAME
If I use port 21 this shows up at the end. Also adding to my troubles fill in forms isn't working. Something I did maybe.

So can someone help me, please?
kind regards

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2022-09-26 13:55

Port 21 is the default for FTP and explicit FTP over TLS (FTPS), port 22 is the default for SFTP. The default port is not displayed, just like your web browser does not display port 80/443 in URLs for HTTP(S). If no protocol is given, the protocol is inferred from the given port. If both are missing, FTP(S) is assumed.

HTTP(S) and FTP(S) servers are typically different software products. FTPS servers commonly have different certificates from a HTTP(S) server running on the same machine. SFTP by contract doesn't use certificates at all.

Kaywoo

#6 Post by Kaywoo » 2022-09-27 02:40

Hello
Thank you for your reply. Now I am confused.

Can you write down what I should be putting into Filezilla quick connect? Why is my user name in connect drop-down menu?

There is a long message when I used port 21 but I can only see in red that it is not valid. I cannot print it and very technical.

As I said my host gave me these codes. I haven't used it for a couple of years. If I can just get some uploaded I will be happy. My other main problem is that I cannot fill in the form message. I have read forums but I cannot understand the process.

kind regards

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2022-09-27 03:28

Can you write down what I should be putting into Filezilla quick connect?
The server information from your hoster that is valid at this point in time. Note the internet is an evolving thing, server information is subject to change over time.
Why is my user name in connect drop-down menu?
The drop-down menu at the end is the QuickConnect history. The last ten servers you connected to, including all data (with or without passwords, depending on settings). For example, "ftp://foobar@example.org" would be the user account "foobar" on the FTP server "example.org".
There is a long message when I used port 21 but I can only see in red that it is not valid. I cannot print it and very technical.
That's probably the server certificate dialog (or the Host key dialog in case of SFTP). The exact red error message is important. Chances are that the server certificate is invalid, mostly happens with expired certificates.
As I said my host gave me these codes. I haven't used it for a couple of years.
What I already wrote: You need to get the correct data from your hoster which is valid now (and not from a couple of years ago). Information very often changes rapidly. Hoster upgrade their servers and (hopefully) their security standards.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

Kaywoo

#8 Post by Kaywoo » 2022-09-30 09:43

Hi
I answered your first reply, not this on set in question form. As I said it was my front page that was the problem and the user's address is my documents, I have had several computers over the years and techs have put in this path.

The problem was that my website had been changed. I had over 40 templates for a website based on mine. with new names, I didn't recognise so someone got in.

Anyway, it is over now. My two files are secure and have https. This is all I wanted.

I must say I cannot understand how I got the addresses I got. It happened with the tech two but two files were sitting in Filezilla and he just changed to local. God knows I have had enough. I didn't reply because I gave your posts to my host and he didn't reply. All he knew is the code was correct and he sent me a video. But his path did change as mine did. If I recall it was spt..proactive@ftp......
So four wasted days and your time is all over.
kind regards

Kaywoo

#9 Post by Kaywoo » 2022-09-30 09:58

botg wrote:
2022-09-26 13:55
Port 21 is the default for FTP and explicit FTP over TLS (FTPS), port 22 is the default for SFTP. The default port is not displayed, just like your web browser does not display port 80/443 in URLs for HTTP(S). If no protocol is given, the protocol is inferred from the given port. If both are missing, FTP(S) is assumed.

HTTP(S) and FTP(S) servers are typically different software products. FTPS servers commonly have different certificates from a HTTP(S) server running on the same machine. SFTP by contract doesn't use certificates at all.
Sorry, I sent a private message. I didn't reply to this because I sent it to my host and he didn't comment. As far as he was concerned there was no problem and sent me a video. But go to files uploaded and secure.
regards IKwoo

vkdx
500 Command not understood
First name: benita
Last name: dmcx

#10 Post by vkdx » 2023-02-15 15:35

Could you please list the information I should enter for Filezilla rapid connect? Why does the connect drop-down menu include my user name?When I tried port 21, there was a lengthy warning, but I could only make out in red that it was invalid. It's too technical for me to print.I mentioned that my host handed me these codes. It has been a while since I used it. I'll be satisfied if I can just upload a few. My inability to complete the form message is my other significant issue. I've read forums, but the procedure eludes me. with respect .I should mention that I've done a tonne of research. I've got to say, save some time and follow Renethx's advice when it comes to these things. At least for everything I've looked at, he is accurate! I have some money.

boco
Contributor

#11 Post by boco » 2023-02-15 18:29

Could you please list the information I should enter for Filezilla rapid connect?
The Hostname (server URL or IP), the username and password of your account on the server, and a port (only if necessary). All these information is handed out by the server administrator/hosting support, not us.
Why does the connect drop-down menu include my user name?
Because you entered it. Username needs to be included as, otherwise, the connection would be an anonymous one.
When I tried port 21, there was a lengthy warning, but I could only make out in red that it was invalid. It's too technical for me to print.
Just a guess: The server's TLS certificate is invalid. Nothing we can do, the server support must handle that.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###