Filezilla not connecting with a laptop

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

iam_sysop
226 Transfer OK

Re: Filezilla not connecting with a laptop

#16 Post by iam_sysop » 2022-11-27 08:47

By taking it to a completely different network that does definitely point to something local to that particular laptop.

The FileZilla test on the website tests port 80 and/or port 443 (http/https) -- but does not test port 21 (ftp control port) or 20 (active mode data port) or any of the "possible" passive data ports which are dynamic based on the host you're connecting to.

Like botg said, there is most likely some 3rd party software (maybe a "connection manager") on that machine that could be interfering with FTP connections (or stopping the ports from opening). Unfortunately, when we get to this stage, it can be any number of things, but most likely has to do with some form of "pre-installed" software that is interfering with the network connection(s). I can't recommend this directly, but in the past I have had to de-bloat laptops and install clean drivers (from the OEM or Microsoft - not the laptop manufacturer), and then attempt to resolve networking issues - but this can be tricky and time-consuming.

Microsoft would tell you to do an "in-place" repair of your OS, but I doubt that would change anything in this case because most laptops have the "bloatware" woven into the Windows Recovery image that is on that device.

boco
Contributor

#17 Post by boco » 2022-11-27 15:18

Please also note that the PortableApps package of FileZilla is a third party package and not really supported here. Did you try with the version directly from this website?
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

billyjoe
500 Syntax error

#18 Post by billyjoe » 2022-12-07 05:23

Thanks for your input, iam_sysop. So that there be no bloatware or any interfering "connections manager", I reinstalled a fresh ocopy of Win 11 on my laptop and still Filezilla can't make FTP connections that it does make on my desktop PC, using exactly the same settings.

I also tried with a standard installation of Filezilla and not the PortableApps edition, but still it will not connect,
I'll try anything.
Is there any way to find what's blocking FTP connections for Filezilla on my laptop? I'll try anything. I assume it does work on other laptops?

boco
Contributor

#19 Post by boco » 2022-12-07 06:18

Could you test if connecting to the FTP site (not to the SFTP one) is possible through the Windows ftp.exe program? Press WIN+R for the Run... dialog, type ftp, press Return. In the command line window, after the ftp> prompt, enter open ftp.onlinepianoteacher.org and press Return.

You should see something like this:

Code: Select all

ftp> open ftp.onlinepianoteacher.org
Connected to ftp.onlinepianoteacher.org.
220 ipage FTP Server Ready
User (ftp.onlinepianoteacher.org:(none)):_
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

billyjoe
500 Syntax error

#20 Post by billyjoe » 2022-12-07 08:32

Thank you for the suggestion above, boco, but Filezilla is now connecting.

I don't understand why, but as soon as I forwarded ftp ports to my laptop IP, it started connecting.

On the other hand, Filezilla on my desktop PC, connects without having this additional port forwarding.
It works by only having the ftp service enabled on the router.

I'm so glad it works, but would you please explain why the desktop PC doesn't need it and the laptop does need ftp ports specifically forwarded to its IP address?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#21 Post by botg » 2022-12-07 08:50

Please note that we cannot support third-party distributions of FileZilla. Only ever download FileZilla from https://filezilla-project.org/download.php if you require support.

billyjoe
500 Syntax error

#22 Post by billyjoe » 2022-12-07 09:03

As I said in an earlier post, when it was suggested that I do so, I downloaded and installed the Filezilla version offered on its website. It is no longer the third-party PortableApps version. However, at this point, it probably doesn't make any difference. I assume it also should work as well as the non-third-party version.

billyjoe
500 Syntax error

#23 Post by billyjoe » 2022-12-07 10:10

If anyone does know, I still would like to know why the desktop PC (running the officlal Filezilla version) doesn't need FTP ports forwarded to its IP address and Filezilla in my laptop does need FTP ports forwarded to its IP address in order to work.

boco
Contributor

#24 Post by boco » 2022-12-08 02:58

You don't need to forward ports to the client at all, unless you are using the Active mode to connect (PORT, not recommended). The recommended Passive mode makes only outgoing connections from the client side.

billyjoe
500 Syntax error

#25 Post by billyjoe » 2022-12-08 04:17

Thanks boco.
That would mean that without realizing it, I must be using passive mode on my desktop PC and active mode on my laptop, because it won't connect without port forwarding?
How do I check this in Filezilla?

Thanks

boco
Contributor

#26 Post by boco » 2022-12-08 05:36

You can see it in the log. Right click the log pane and select "Detailed log". Then connect and look for PORT (or EPRT) commands.
Passive mode uses PASV or EPSV.