never check for updates not working

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

ejonesss
504 Command not implemented

never check for updates not working

#1 Post by ejonesss » 2023-01-25 02:34

i on the mac version and despite setting to never check for updates the client still checks for updates.

i tried blocking the update checks with the hosts file by mapping

0.0.0.0 update.filezilla-project.org
0.0.0.0 filezilla-project.org
0.0.0.0 wiki.filezilla-project.org
0.0.0.0 ip.filezilla-project.org

and i still get a message saying there is a new version.

some of us do not want to know if a new version is out unless there is a bug.

let us decide when to update or even know about updates.

ok maybe if the bug is so serious like someone maliciously crafting a url to perform ddos amplification or something (remember the dns ping amplification bug in the tcp/ip engine in os 9 where someone could ping an effected mac and get it to respond with an abnormally large packet to bring down some university) by exploiting a vulnerability in the app then we would want a forced notice of update.

boco
Contributor

Re: never check for updates not working

#2 Post by boco » 2023-01-25 05:10

If set to Never, the client never checks for updates. But, it probably doesn't work the way you think. There are two issues:

1. Updates found before you did set it to Never will still be announced, as FileZilla already knows about them, and
2. when a FileZilla client exceeds a certain age (90 days AFAIK) without updating, it considers itself as being obsolete and outdated. The nag screen shown then is not a check at all, but works without any connection.

Nearly 100% of the FileZilla updates released fixed at least one bug. This is not Microsoft where pure eye-candy updates are a thing. FileZilla is a network-exposed software, you are supposed to be on the latest version, always.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org