Problem connecting to server via SFTP (SSH) with FileZilla on macOS (Monterey)

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

backslash
504 Command not implemented

Problem connecting to server via SFTP (SSH) with FileZilla on macOS (Monterey)

#1 Post by backslash » 2023-02-12 14:59

I am trying to connect via SFTP to my server (Debian based NAS) using FileZilla 3.63.1 and it works perfectly fine with one exception:

As soon as I try to connect via FileZilla and replace the external IP "XXX.XXX.XXX.XX" that I got assigned from my ISP and which gets renewed every 24 hours with my dynamic DNS URL like "xyz.myfritz.net" then the connection does not work anymore through FileZilla:

Code: Select all

Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=11
Command: open "johndoe@xyz.myfritz.net" 22
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Could not connect to server
By using the external IP "XXX.XXX.XXX.XX" from the router it works with FileZilla as it should:

Status: Listing directory /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xyz/Home/johndoe
Status: Directory listing of "/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xyz/Home/johndoe" successful
If i try to connect from my Mac terminal being it SSH/SFTP using the very same xyz.myfritz.net dynamic DNS URL everything works as expected.

Using the Windows version of FileZilla within the same network environment works also as expected.

A regular "oldschool" non SSH FTP connection works perfect using FileZilla for macOS in combination with the very same dynamic xyz.myfritz.net URL.

The only combination that does not work is a SFTP connection with FileZilla for macOS and the dynamic xyz.myfritz.net URL.

Is this a FileZilla for Mac and/or macOS issue?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Problem connecting to server via SFTP (SSH) with FileZilla on macOS (Monterey)

#2 Post by botg » 2023-02-13 08:53

Open a Terminal and check the output of these two commands:

ping xyz.myfritz.net
ping6 xyz.myfritz.net
Each should either result in a hostname resolution failure, or if they resolve to an actual address, be pingable.

backslash

Re: Problem connecting to server via SFTP (SSH) with FileZilla on macOS (Monterey)

#3 Post by backslash » 2023-02-13 09:00

botg wrote:
2023-02-13 08:53
Open a Terminal and check the output of these two commands:

ping xyz.myfritz.net
ping6 xyz.myfritz.net
Each should either result in a hostname resolution failure, or if they resolve to an actual address, be pingable.
Both are being resolved and the respective addresses are both pingable from the terminal

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2023-02-13 11:10

Can you connect to both these addresses with ssh if you explicitly enter them instead of the hostname?

backslash

#5 Post by backslash » 2023-02-13 14:32

botg wrote:
2023-02-13 11:10
Can you connect to both these addresses with ssh if you explicitly enter them instead of the hostname?
I can't! I can ssh the IPv4 address but not the IPv6. So is this a misconfiguration of the server or does the dynamic DNS service not properly reflect the IPv6 address?

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2023-02-13 17:05

Unfortunately, it could be either one. Using ifconfig in a terminal session on the server NAS will reveal the actual IPv6 IPs assigned (use alternative ways to gather assigned IPs if there's no terminal). Does the global address (not LLA nor ULA/SLA) match with what the DNS names resolve into?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

backslash

#7 Post by backslash » 2023-02-13 19:36

boco wrote:
2023-02-13 17:05
Does the global address (not LLA nor ULA/SLA) match with what the DNS names resolve into?
No it does not. I think we narrowed down the issue. At least it is not a FileZilla issue then. ;-)

GB_Informatics
500 Command not understood
First name: GB
Last name: Informatics

#8 Post by GB_Informatics » 2023-09-06 18:26

Hello,

I have set up OpenVPN between my Synology server with OpenVPN configured on it. With Filezilla on macos I can't connect via nas.synology.me. with Cyberbuck it works.
The problem arises when I'm connected using connection sharing on my mobile phone.
Can someone please help me?