Speed of detecting file changes after saving

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

kahomo2404
500 Command not understood

Speed of detecting file changes after saving

#1 Post by kahomo2404 » 2023-02-13 10:04

I prefer to edit my files directly from the server by right clicking in FZ > View/Edit. Whenever I save the file (in Notepad++), FZ immediately detects the file has changed and pops up a dialogue box asking me if I want to upload the file to the server.

FZ has always been near-instant in detecting file changes to the point where I can edit in N++ on one screen, save it, then click on FZ on another screen to upload it right away. However, I updated to the latest version of FZ a few days ago and since then I've noticed it takes FZ up to 10 seconds or so to detect the file has changed after I've saved it. This is having a significant impact on my productivity because I typically make multiple small changes to a file in a short space of time, and having to wait 10 seconds for FZ to detect and upload the changes is making it unusable for me.

I'm not even sure if FZ is to blame here (I assume N++, Widows etc. are all potential factors here) but I only noticed this behaviour since updating to the latest version of FZ a few days ago so I figured I'd start here. I've been using FZ almost daily for 16 years and I've never encountered this problem before.

I'm hoping one of your wizards might be able to point me in the right direction to try and speed this back up again :D

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Speed of detecting file changes after saving

#2 Post by botg » 2023-02-13 11:20

The check is done every once in a while. In addition, it is done immediately if the main window gains focus. This functionality hasn't changed in years.

kahomo2404

#3 Post by kahomo2404 » 2023-02-13 13:03

botg wrote:
2023-02-13 11:20
The check is done every once in a while. In addition, it is done immediately if the main window gains focus. This functionality hasn't changed in years.
Thank you for confirming this. Something else must be causing the lag because it still happens when the window is in focus, but at least I can rule out FZ now.

bs-encode
First name: Bob
Last name: Sutton

#4 Post by bs-encode » 2023-02-24 12:55

Hi there - I am also now experiencing this problem on Windows 10 where I adopt the same workflow for back end development. The response to a change in my editor (Notepad ++) has been effectively instant until the last few days. Now it is variable, but can take up to 40 seconds which is a real pain!

konsolefaust
First name: Vincent
Last name: Abate

#5 Post by konsolefaust » 2023-03-30 19:53

botg wrote:
2023-02-13 11:20
This was an issue that popped up a few versions ago and was sort of fixed with an additional release soon after. Within the last few months it has been getting worse again. Even when the window gains focus, it takes time to for the upload prompt. Sometimes it takes almost a minute for it to recognize file changes.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2023-03-30 21:06

Does Windows these days employ delayed metadata updates? If so, nothing that can be done short of changing Windows.