530 Error Trying to Connect to Turbify Web Hosting?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

sbgreen
500 Command not understood
First name: Robert
Last name: Bernstein

530 Error Trying to Connect to Turbify Web Hosting?

#1 Post by sbgreen » 2023-03-07 06:20

I hope someone here can help. I have had an account with Yahoo Small Business to host my site since 2004. For most of that time I have used FileZilla to upload files to my site.

In the past year, Yahoo Small Business was sold to Verizon and more recently to some company called Turbify. They changed their system to CPANEL recently. When that happened, FileZilla stopped being able to connect. I get this message:
===
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: USER robert@swt.org@swt.org
Response: 331 User robert@swt.org@swt.org OK. Password required
Command: PASS *************
Response: 530 Login authentication failed
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server
===
I have spent hours dealing with Turbify. Yes, they are utterly incompetent and unresponsive. However... I was able to connect using something called CoreFTP. But it is an inferior product to FileZilla.

Can anyone suggest a remedy to allow FileZilla to connect? Turbify only provides settings for this CoreFTP, not for any other FTP software. Hope someone can help. Thanks!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: 530 Error Trying to Connect to Turbify Web Hosting?

#2 Post by botg » 2023-03-07 09:08

That's an unusual username, are you sure it's correct?

Please double-check your login credentials, watch our for character case and leading/trailing whitespace. If the issue persists, only Turbify can help you further.

sbgreen

#3 Post by sbgreen » 2023-03-07 16:41

Thank you for your reply. Sorry if I was not clear. I have been using FileZilla with this host for years. I had been using those login credentials as written for a long time. I did not change anything. It just stopped working.

As for the fault being entirely with Turbify, how can that be? CoreFTP is able to connect and transfer files. Why can they connect, but not FileZilla?

sbgreen

#4 Post by sbgreen » 2023-03-07 21:15

An important update:
For a long time I had been using that weird looking login name robert@swt.org@swt.org

On your advice, I tried the more normal looking robert@swt.org and that now works. I can now connect again to Turbify using Filezilla. I have no idea why their log in name settings used be so weird, but it seems that the log in name setting is now what it should be. Thanks!

RichieRich
First name: Kathleen
Last name: Squier

#5 Post by RichieRich » 2023-03-25 16:44

I am unable to use Filezilla to transfer files to my webhosting account. Account was once owned by Yahoo. Then purchased by Verizon. Now taken over by Turbify. I tried to download suggested ftp client offered by Turbify (Coreftp). I cannot connect to the server through Coreftp. Turbify support has not been able to help me configure the client.

I want to continue using Filezilla. Can anyone offer help. Thank you in advance.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2023-03-25 19:24

botg wrote:
2023-03-07 09:08
Please double-check your login credentials, watch our for character case and leading/trailing whitespace. If the issue persists, only Turbify can help you further.

RichieRich

#7 Post by RichieRich » 2023-03-27 16:46

I use FileZilla Versinon 3.63.2.1, OS Version 6.1, 64 bit. I published three web page changes to my site (currently hosted with Turbify.com), as I have always done in the past. Status Log In was "successful." I uploaded the three pages to the remote location. Message indicated that transfer was successful. But, no changed pages are visible on the web site.

Turbify support told me to publish my files to "public_html." I admit that I do not understand how to configure the Site Manager Remote Site to send my files to "public_html."

Current "General" Settings are:
Protocol: FTP-File Transfer
Host: example.com
Encryption: Use explicit FTP over TLS if applicable
Log On: Normal
User: mysite@example.com
Password: *********

I welcome all helpful instructions on this. Thank you all very much.

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2023-03-27 22:57

OS Version 6.1, 64 bit.
You do know that there's absolutely no support for FileZilla on Windows 7, do you? Files not correctly showing in FileZilla itself is a result of an outdated OS.

Otherwise, there should be a subdirectory of that name somewhere on your server in FileZilla, where your site files have to go into.

No further help.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

RichieRich

#9 Post by RichieRich » 2023-03-28 10:00

My apologies to the Forum. I did not know that support for FileZilla on my OS is outdated, or I would not have asked for help. Thank you for your reply.

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2023-03-28 11:11

Maybe I was a bit harsh.

Note that you can still use FileZilla, just the official support has ceased. Non-ESU versions of Windows 7 fail to show some listings correctly. If you keep your Windows 7 up-to-date, however (as there are still updates coming out, just not publicly), FileZilla should work.

With_Flow

#11 Post by With_Flow » 2023-05-11 09:57

It may sound weird or stupid, but hear me out.GBWhatsApp APK
Whenever i try to login using the credentials and fill the password manually in the password field, i get the 530 error.
But, when i copy & paste the password, it works fine.
Okk, i know it sound stupid, even to me. But it it.
I checked the password i type everytime carefully and not a single mistake i made, and still, i got the error.
Has anyone faced this issue?

boco
Contributor

#12 Post by boco » 2023-05-11 18:01

Not weird nor stupid if you know that Copy & Paste can copy invisible characters along. Usually, it's a leading and/or trailing space character, but other control characters are also possible. These are interpreted by the server as being part of the password!

So, if the original password was also copy-pasted, there might have been such a character or blank copied along with it and now the server expects you to send it exactly as-is. When typing manually, you will naturally omit these type of characters as you are not aware of them even existing.

Example:

foobar
foobar

Now with quotes:

"foobar"
"foobar "

Different passwords for the server, but without visible markers, they look absolutely the same to you.

With_Flow

#13 Post by With_Flow » 2023-05-18 04:19

Ah, I see. Now I no longer feel stupid :lol: Thanks for the explanation. Great help.