XML file in profile

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

law
500 Command not understood

XML file in profile

#1 Post by law » 2004-09-08 22:59

Hello,

i dont know if this was mentioned before, but i could not find anything about it at once.

When i installed the latest FileZilla version on windows available there was the question about storing data in registry or XML file. Registry was recommended for multiuser environments. I wonder why i can't safely use an XML file in a multi user environment.

Where ist this file stored?

And why isn't it stored somewhere under C:\Dokumente und Einstelungen\username\ (german version) C:\Documents and Settings\ (in english version i guess) - prefereble Anwendungsdaten respective Application Data - in a subfolder filezilla. Like a ~/.filezilla\ aint be used under linux (didnt use filezilla under linux yet)? This should work under all Windows NT versions quite well (as far as i understand the profile stuff).

eddan
226 Transfer OK

#2 Post by eddan » 2004-09-09 11:20

The file you are talking about, filezilla.xml, is stored in the folder where you installed FileZilla, typically "C:\Program Files\FileZilla\filezilla.xml". That's why it is not as good as registry for multiuser environments.

As to why it is not saved in "documents and settings\username\application data\filezilla" etc, you need to get an answer from BotG.. Probably because the way it is now, it's the same for Win9X, Win2K, WinXP and so on.. So it's just much easier to do... But that is just my guess :)

law

#3 Post by law » 2004-09-18 13:02

What is about this one now?

bfeucht

#4 Post by bfeucht » 2004-11-12 21:05

I second (or make a first offical request) to move the filezilla.xml file to the Application Data folder.

In XP and 2000 this would make life much easier for troubleshooting multiuser machines than the registry settings (i.e. deleted the file and start from scratch) and is obviously more secure than in program files.

In older versions of windows it should just drop into the application data folder in the windows directory, unless it has been set else where.

The command using Windows environment variables would be something like %APPDATA%\FileZilla\

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2004-11-12 21:15

Already implemented in FZ3.