Invalid Character Filtering

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

maxinemdk
500 Command not understood
First name: Maria Victoria
Last name: King

Invalid Character Filtering

#1 Post by maxinemdk » 2023-08-03 23:42

Hi There,

I'm using Filezilla 3.65.0. I disabled the invalid character filtering and yet Filezilla continues to filter the characters and change the filename of the document I uploaded. Or so it seems from the Filezilla directory. What is odd is that when I go to the website where I uploaded the files, the document names are correct and they have the "special characters". But when I look at Filezilla, the characters have been changed to "_". So when I'm doing the file synchronization, the files are highlighted in yellow. What am I missing? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,

Maria
Attachments
Invalid Character Filtering.jpg
Invalid Character Filtering.jpg (80.36 KiB) Viewed 1580 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Invalid Character Filtering

#2 Post by botg » 2023-08-04 07:38

Invalid character replacement only applies to downloads. It doesn't do anything when uploading.

Replacement of invalid characters obviously means that filenames are different, so it will show up in directory comparison. As replacement is a lossy operation, there is no way to automatically reconcile these differences.

If able, try renaming the remote files so that they do not contain characters not available on your local filesystem.

maxinemdk
500 Command not understood
First name: Maria Victoria
Last name: King

#3 Post by maxinemdk » 2023-08-09 00:22

Hi botg,

Thank you for responding. Not in my case. Uploading documents from the Local Site to the Remote Site with filenames containing the characters "&" and "#" are replaced with "_". It appears that the renaming only occurs on the Remote Directory Tree screen because when I check the website where I uploaded the files, the filenames were left unchanged, they still contain the "&" and "#". When I enable the Directory Comparison, of course, it flags those files because the names no longer match. Why does this happen? Is there a way around it? Below is a sample screenshot. Thank you for your help.
Attachments
Screenshot FileZilla.jpg
Screenshot FileZilla.jpg (57.04 KiB) Viewed 1509 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2023-08-09 08:01

That is something your server is doing. Please contact your server administrator or server hosting provider for further assistance.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2023-08-09 08:59

Could also be the characters are uploaded correctly and are on the server, but are not returned in listings. The advice from @botg is what you need to do.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org