FileZilla doesn't give access to local /var/www and other root folders || Ubuntu Flatpak

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

blaubit
500 Command not understood
First name: Martin

FileZilla doesn't give access to local /var/www and other root folders || Ubuntu Flatpak

#1 Post by blaubit » 2023-08-04 08:48

Hi,

When downloading filezilla from the Flatpak distribution, the installed configuration does not provide access to my root folder, instead it's a weird mix of folders, that are otherwise not being recognized from the level of the terminal.
For example a folder called app, which is not being seend from the terminal.
The most important though, is I don't see or have access to the /var/www folder. For some reason, the var folder itself is visible, but again, includes a weird mix of folders, limited and with stuff, that I don't see from the terminals perspective.

I have decided to install FileZilla the manual way, by just downloading and extracting it to my disk with an added .desktop file. This has solved the issue, and I now have access to all my folders.
However this won't allow me to monitor the version and update easily, so it's a class B workaround for me.

Does anyone know why this happens through the flatpak software manager, and is there a way to fix/solve this with the flatpak distro?

If any more details are needed, let me know.

============ EDIT ===================

After some further research, it looks like this is solely Flatpak distro related.
I am not sure if this is then the right place to post this issue.

The "problem" can be solved with the right flags in the flatpak manifest by those, who put it on flathub.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[ feels good to write a post on an old school forum again ]

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla doesn't give access to local /var/www and other root folders || Ubuntu Flatpak

#2 Post by botg » 2023-08-04 09:25

Please understand that we cannot support third-party packages. Contact your package maintainer for assistance.

We recommend to install FileZilla natively as a proper program.

AlainR
First name: Alain
Last name: Rihs

Re: FileZilla doesn't give access to local /var/www and other root folders || Ubuntu Flatpak

#3 Post by AlainR » 2023-09-22 09:43

Hi.
I have the same problem and I found for Mozilla Thunderbird that profiles files are in /home/$USER/.var/app/org.mozilla.Thunderbird/.thunderbird
So I check for Filezilla and I find /home/$USER/.var/app/org.filezillaproject.Filezilla but I cannot find the files tha I can see in Filezilla in /tmp/fz3temp-2 folder ???

I will try as you suggest to install it manually.
I hope to be able to associate more easily an editor to display/edit the files, because with flatpak Filezilla does not find the editor!!

AlainR
First name: Alain
Last name: Rihs

#4 Post by AlainR » 2023-09-22 12:40

I come back already: after uninstalling Filezilla by the App Center, I downloaded it but changed my mind and I simply executed the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install filezilla
And Filezilla works perfectly!

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2023-09-22 21:26

And Filezilla works perfectly!
Maybe, but you won't get any support here. It's a third-party redistribution.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org