Windows 11 vs Windows 10 FTP Upload to UK Server mystery

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

gabgab
500 Command not understood
First name: Gabrio
Last name: Linari

Windows 11 vs Windows 10 FTP Upload to UK Server mystery

#1 Post by gabgab » 2023-08-06 13:48

hi there,

So i have 2 accounts at hosting providers, one in the UK and one in Germany. I am myself located in Europe.

From a long time i always had a relatively slow upload speed to the UK one compared to the Germany one, i thought server infrastructure was slower, more distance, etc .... Just recently they upgraded sever infra on the UK one and there was a nice upload speed increase, NICE!

HOWEVER..................

Recently i've installed Win11 on a new high performance Desktop PC and i tested upload speed again to the UK server, to my great surprise, i was able to nearly max my 100 mbit upload speed (just like to the German server) - same fiber connection, etc which was great!

Now i've rolled back to Win10 and upload speed is back to the "slower" one which is totally bizarre.

And even more bizarre is that the server in Germany has always the same "higher" speed whether it's Win10 or Win11.

That leaves me with the fact that there's some setting on the UK server's infrastructure which works best with Win 11 settings or something like that?!?!? Just asked the host but is a mystery. Any ideas?

Tweaks for the network card "Advanced" page ? you can disable like Efficient Ethernet etc - i use 1 GBPS ethernet connection on a 200/100 fiber optic.

thank you!
Gabrio

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Windows 11 vs Windows 10 FTP Upload to UK Server mystery

#2 Post by botg » 2023-08-07 07:06

Could be any number of reasons.

Instead of rolling back to Windows 10, have you tried a fresh installation of Windows 10 to establish a baseline, ruling out influence from third-party software and past configuration changes?

gabgab

#3 Post by gabgab » 2023-08-07 08:30

hi,

This is a "fresh" installation of Win10 right now on a wiped out drive, new partition, etc - i just finished installing all the programs i need, pretty much as the Win11 was.

And the crazy part is that this only happens to the UK server. The german one is unaffected. My hosting people say that nothing is strange on their end, etc... But since i use Filezilla i posted here :)

Not the end of the world, it's just bizarre. Perhaps the way Win11 handles networking and stuff is better/more compatible with the UK host simply.

Win10
UK Upload = 2-3-5 MB / sec
German Upload = 10-10.5 Mb/sec

Win 11
UK Upload = 10-10.5 Mb/sec
German Upload = 10-10.5 Mb/sec

But if there's any special setting one can tweak under the network adapter's settings, that would be good to know.

cheers!

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2023-08-07 10:01

As you mentioned a high performance system, maybe the CPU has advanced hardware acceleration features that are utilized fully only under Win11 (due to the CPU coming after Win10). Or, the OS could actively use the TPM under Windows 11 to accelerate crypto algos (as Win11 lists TPM 2.0 as a system requirement). The difference between the servers could be explained by the German server using an older (or just different) cipher algo that does not require the new acceleration for running full speed, while the UK one does use a very new one that's performing slow in software mode only.

Note: speculation.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2023-08-07 10:12

The cipher support in FileZilla is operating-system independent. CPU capabilities can make a difference, not the OS.

gabgab

#6 Post by gabgab » 2023-08-07 22:10

boco wrote:
2023-08-07 10:01
As you mentioned a high performance system, maybe the CPU has advanced hardware acceleration features that are utilized fully only under Win11 (due to the CPU coming after Win10). Or, the OS could actively use the TPM under Windows 11 to accelerate crypto algos (as Win11 lists TPM 2.0 as a system requirement). The difference between the servers could be explained by the German server using an older (or just different) cipher algo that does not require the new acceleration for running full speed, while the UK one does use a very new one that's performing slow in software mode only.

Note: speculation.
interesting thought, haven't considered that!

gabgab

#7 Post by gabgab » 2023-08-07 22:10

Side note, i don't get email notifications from here...