Synchronized browsing grayed out

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

jhaber3
550 File not found
First name: John
Last name: Haber

Synchronized browsing grayed out

#1 Post by jhaber3 » 2023-09-17 21:45

This afternoon, I could no longer use synchronized browsing; the icon at top is grayed out. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but at the same time the icon that appears on the status bar when FileZilla is running is now blank.

I can still ftp, and indeed that way I can accomplish the same as with synchronized browsing. It just takes more clicks. Any thoughts as to what happened? Maybe I should add that when another app's icon grayed out earlier this very week, Microsoft had me upgrade Windows by reinstalling it, which took hours to complete (and then to correct by recovering some settings). All puzzling.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Synchronized browsing grayed out

#2 Post by botg » 2023-09-18 07:45

the icon that appears on the status bar when FileZilla is running is now blank.
What do you mean? Can you please provide a screenshot?

jhaber3
550 File not found

#3 Post by jhaber3 » 2023-09-18 18:42

I'd have thought it was obvious from the description, but here's a screen shot. I circled the Synchronized Browsing icon, on the top toolbar where it belongs. You may be able to see that it's pale, the modern equivalent of grayed out, and not responsive. I also circled the icon for the app in the status bar at screen bottom.
Attachments
filezilla.jpg
filezilla.jpg (303.58 KiB) Viewed 1921 times

jhaber3
550 File not found

#4 Post by jhaber3 » 2023-09-18 20:10

May I follow up further? I don't just want to say I solved the issue. But I do want to say I might have done so but need your insight.

Now, on my old computer, if I went locally to a subfolder, the remote director did not go there automatically. Instead, I could either navigate there manually or, instead, click on that Synchronized Browsing button on the tool bar, which then turned on automatic navigation. I'm used to that, in part because, on the old computer, I was navigating to one subfolder manually and quite happily; that subfolder was for my style sheets, and it was just one level down. But I was using synchronized browsing for images, which are two levels down (one level to an image folder, then subfolders for alphabetical groupings).

Now I no longer can move back and forth between two kinds of navigation using the toolbar button. But I can force synchronized browsing, it turns out, as always enabled. I did so in Site Manager by entering a slash as the sole component of default remote directory, checking the synchronized browsing box, and clicking on ok.

Is that what I want? I guessed the slash because, after all, FileZilla was displaying the remote files if I left "default remote directory" blank. (Giving the host in the General tab was sufficient.) I also tried a backslash, as I use backslashes in "default local directory," but that gave an error message, so I went back to a slash.

So is this what I should expect, and is it ok? I can live without toggling on the feature. That is, I can live with the feature being on all the time.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2023-09-18 20:37

The synchronized icon is not pale/unavailable. The blue color means it is checked/enabled. As Windows did away with 3D icons in the "modern" versions, the blue background for the icon is the equivalent to the indented style for checked items.

sync_disabled.png
sync_disabled.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
This is disabled/unavailable. No color.

The blank program icon is the result of a bug that currently haunts Windows. Also occurring for other icons including Desktop ones.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

jhaber3
550 File not found

#6 Post by jhaber3 » 2023-09-18 21:22

Thanks much. I'll take that to mean that this is how it is now meant to work. Curious that I got much the same pale sign, as if it were active, before I figured out how to activate it today, but no matter. If it's good, it's good.

Doesn't always work, but today re-choosing the app's icon did the job, too. The Windows 11 failure rate is unsettling, but so it goes.