Can't connect to RootsWeb sitesuser server since Oct. 12

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Jared1968
504 Command not implemented
First name: Jared
Last name: Olar

Can't connect to RootsWeb sitesuser server since Oct. 12

#1 Post by Jared1968 » 2023-10-16 01:04

I use FileZilla to upload and download pages to my old RootsWeb freepages genealogy website. The old freepages websites will become uneditable in early 2024, so I'm doing some final edits to my old website before it becomes static. However, for some reason I haven't been able to connect to their server since last Tuesday, Oct. 10. When I opened FileZilla on Thursday, Oct. 12, and clicked on "Reconnect," I got this:

Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=11
Command: open "fesschequy@sitesuser.rootsweb.com" 22
Error: Could not connect to server

And that's what I still get when trying to connect.

I've contacted RootsWeb and they say their freepages server is operating correctly, so I ought to be able to connect. I have the latest version of FileZilla, and I have made no changes to my protocols in FileZilla Site Manager since Tuesday. Can anyone help me determine why I can't connect any more?

I've got Windows 11, and there were updates last week that were installed on Oct. 10 and 11 -- Windows Intelligence Update, Windows Configuration Update, and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64-v5. 118. In case those updates may be the culprit, I've rolled back two of them (one of them didn't have the uninstall option) -- but that has had no effect. Still can connect to sitesuser.rootsweb.com using FileZilla.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Can't connect to RootsWeb sitesuser server since Oct. 12

#2 Post by botg » 2023-10-16 07:01

Please double-check your login credentials, watch our for character case and leading/trailing whitespace. In case the server itself is experiencing technical difficulties, contact your server administrator or server hosting provider for further assistance.

gregkrenzelok
500 Command not understood
First name: Greg
Last name: Krenzelok

#3 Post by gregkrenzelok » 2023-10-16 22:17

Jared1968

I am having the same problem logging on to old RootsWeb freepages genealogy websites. I am also trying to update my website before I can not longer update and download my website. I was not able to update my website at the exact time you also were not able to do. Have been able to find out anything. A good friend of mind told me she thinks the problem is with RootWeb and not FillZilla.

Please reply to me.

Greg Krenzelok

Jared1968

#4 Post by Jared1968 » 2023-10-17 04:44

Hi Greg. Yes, I do wonder if something is amiss with RootsWeb. The person who replied to me at RootsWeb support said their server is working fine, and gave me a long list of things to try. I've verified that FileZilla is working as it should and passes its tests. It is looking like somebody "broke" something at RootsWeb.

Do you also have Windows 11 as your operating system? If so, perhaps those updates I mentioned are the culprit. If not, then it's probably a problem on RootsWeb's end. I only have FileZilla on my home computer, have McAfee as my antivirus, and do all my freepages website editing at home. I've never had trouble connecting before last Thursday, Oct. 12.

Jared1968

#5 Post by Jared1968 » 2023-10-17 05:01

botg wrote:
2023-10-16 07:01
Please double-check your login credentials, watch our for character case and leading/trailing whitespace. In case the server itself is experiencing technical difficulties, contact your server administrator or server hosting provider for further assistance.
Thank you, botg. My login credentials are good. I'm more and more inclined to think its their server that is having problems. FileZilla is functioning the way it should, as I see from the test connect I did.

gregkrenzelok
500 Command not understood
First name: Greg
Last name: Krenzelok

#6 Post by gregkrenzelok » 2023-10-17 19:34

Hi Jared,

It's nice to feel like I am not the only one with this problem, trying to connect to the RootsWeb sitesuser server. I have a really good friend of mine who writes software and works for a really big company. She is really sharp and knows her stuff and feels the problem is with RootsWeb. It is so funny how fast this happen. Around the same time that you couldn't connect, I wasn't able to connect. I had just been updating one of my websites. I have been updating and uploading almost every day since I received the notice we only have until the beginning of 2024. I do military research and I have a huge amount of websites on RootsWeb. I am using a Mac computer. Here is my phone number if you would like to call me: (541) 559-1019 - my email is: gregkrenzelok@msn.com

It is a pleasure to meet you!

Greg Krenzelok

Jared1968

#7 Post by Jared1968 » 2023-10-18 03:54

Hi Greg. Yes, it is good to know that this is a problem that is affecting other people. That makes it pretty likely that the problem is one RootsWeb's end.

But I don't hold out much hope that RootsWeb will investigate and resolve this problem -- not when they're preparing to disable all passwords in early 2024 anyway. I've sent some follow up emails to RootsWeb support explaining that none of their suggestions have worked, and hoping they'll look into this and fix it. But I haven't heard back from them yet.

Jared1968

#8 Post by Jared1968 » 2023-10-25 01:27

Well, I have great news. Tonight when I checked to see if I could connected to the freepages server, I was prompted to install a FileZilla update first. I did so, and then I was immediately able to connect to the freepages server.

Whatever got fixed, I'm VERY grateful.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#9 Post by botg » 2023-10-25 07:08

The FileZilla update has not changed anything related to connecting or logging in, it is purely coincidental to the server you are connecting to having be fixed.