FileZilla 3.66.0_i686-linux-gnu.tar.xz install in Knoppix 7.6

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

visionhelp
500 Command not understood

FileZilla 3.66.0_i686-linux-gnu.tar.xz install in Knoppix 7.6

#1 Post by visionhelp » 2023-10-31 21:28

Hi.
Currently a broken download at 3 GB, 1,7 stiil missing, leaded to download FileZilla.
Some tries to install does not work.
The file is FileZilla_3.66.0_i686-linux-gnu.tar.xz, for Knoppix (currently) 7.6.

I could unpack it with Xarchiver to the folder ´ FileZilla3´, but cannot find a file in it for to start or/and but not knowing how to go on now.
(This file at download is labeled as for 32 and 64 bit.)

A Search did not find ´ knoppix´ , so my question here now.
For the main, to continue this download, because of a low internet-connection.

Thanks in advance.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla 3.66.0_i686-linux-gnu.tar.xz install in Knoppix 7.6

#2 Post by botg » 2023-11-01 10:36

The main executable is bin/filezilla

The Linux binaries we distribute are built for Debian. If you are using a different distribution, the binaries might not work and you instead have to either get FileZilla through your distribution's package manager, or compile it yourself from source.

visionhelp

#3 Post by visionhelp » 2023-11-14 21:21

I do not know, whether Knoppix 7.6 is based on Debian or not.

"FileZilla through your distribution's package manager, or compile it yourself from source.":
Both no ways because of no knowledge about this.

But could find a simple download-manager within Knoppix.

Thanks.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2023-11-15 10:23

Tried Knoppix 9.1 (the latest available, from January 25th, 2021). Couldn't determine exactly on what it was based, seems to be a mixture of different sources. Has Synaptic package manager using Debian, Ubuntu but also own repos. Note that thing is actually ancient and all the repo keys are expired, no updating out of the box.

The package manager didn't include any FileZilla package at all.

Judging from 9.1, 7.6 is even more out of date. The chances of running a modern FileZilla package (from repo or not) on that LiveCD/-DVD are grim. Maybe that will changed with the announced 9.3?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

visionhelp

#5 Post by visionhelp » 2023-11-18 04:52

Thanks the answer.

Only in rare cases to me it is necessary to have a download-manager.
In this case it was a 4,7 GB download, over free public hot-spot in my town offered. Not too fast, and leaded to breaks and couldn´t get to the end of the download.
And for this not having a Windows running for this environment, but even for windows I do not use a download-manager, so that I do not know anymore a current reliable download-manager.

So tried to find it for Linux.
With Linux I am not really familiar and there are some hills, which I cannot easily just over-run, over-jump.

But - and that´s the reason why I do write here now - I decided to try, some months ago, an other browser for Knoppix 7.6, and I know how old it is, knowing it well - but as fork (Mypal) for XP still working, which enables me to work still with my last favourized Win-version; and for to prevent unnecessary reactions: with working firewall and Avast anti-vir - PaleMoon.
I could extract with Xarchiver, went into the extracted folder, found a file, which could be the start file, clicked it and this browser just does open, does start. So easy can this be.
Just for saying.

The 9.1 You may name old, from Your point of view.
But not from mine, within just being 2 years away from new.
But here the point with is, that 9.2 and 9.3 only is available in the magazin with. No free download, and when the magazin is sold, how to receive ?

These are my point of views, if OK, and if perhaps welcome.
(And did these days just make some views into win10, and the evil all there what is still to see, but all the possible not knowing not seeing at all, what there all is in, waht I can imagine I do also not like at all, in my opinion it makes it so the more necessary to offer LInux very user-friendly, because once some ´familiar´ - but just knowing how to handle the things for the some just needed things I do not even call familiar - with windows and perhaps by accident once taking a look to Linux and being so rejected is so un-supporting to bring more the Linux possibilities into the hands of more and more humans.
Sorry, this so long sentence in one.
But thanks the interesst.)

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2023-11-18 06:33

But here the point with is, that 9.2 and 9.3 only is available in the magazin with. No free download, and when the magazin is sold, how to receive ?
ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Software/OS/knoppix_v9.3_linuxmag_06_22.iso (source: https://www.cc-community.net/threads/knoppix-9-3-download-boot-iso-linux-live-os-aus-6_2022.121643/)
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

visionhelp

#7 Post by visionhelp » 2023-12-03 16:46

Wow, boco.
Thanks a lot. Great. Very interessting.
Did dismiss to mention, it seems to be possible to buy on stick already, for little money.
But this free download is so much better than to have to expect the post-man. Many, many thanks.
And meanwhile trying to step also into Linux Mint Mate. (From it is being told as reliable and has near a look as XP.)

Oh, the little, not quite easy to handle, tool I found in Knoppix (7.6) is KGet. But could handle the some breaks, when reacting correctly to the (break) message.