Connecting: QuickConnect v File Manager

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

johnbev
500 Command not understood
First name: John
Last name: Bevington

Connecting: QuickConnect v File Manager

#1 Post by johnbev » 2023-12-15 11:51

I've used FZ for uploading website pages for 13 years with no problems. I recently upgraded to a new PC (W11). The latest version of FZ is installed, but I started having connection problems which resulted in lengthy correspondence with my hosting service (123Reg). The current situation is that I can connect successfully via File Manager (any transfer mode), but if I try and connect via Quick Connect (any transfer mode) I get the 530 error after PASS. The hosting service have tried it and it works both ways for them. I don't have a VPN and as far as I can see there's nothing in AVG Internet Security that could be a factor. I'd be happy to continue to use File Manager to connect, but 123Reg are still on my case and keep asking me to try new things to solve the problem, which is quite understandable and I respect them for their doggedness. However I don't think there's much more I can do. I have tried the ftptest and it was OK.

So the question is why is it (or why might it be) that I can connect via File Manager but not through Quick Connect? I (and 123Reg) would be grateful for any advice, but note that I am a bear of very little brain and technospeak and obscure acronyms bother me. Many thanks, and Merry Christmas.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Connecting: QuickConnect v File Manager

#2 Post by botg » 2023-12-18 08:20

What is File Manager?

johnbev

#3 Post by johnbev » 2023-12-18 14:58

My mistake - I meant Site Manager. Put it down to nervous exhaustion after wrestling with this problem for so long.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2023-12-18 21:08

If you enter your data in the Quickconnect Bar, or in the Site Manager, the initial parameters and settings are identical as long as you select the correct protocol. Please double-check your login credentials, watch out for character case and leading/trailing whitespace.

johnbev

#5 Post by johnbev » 2023-12-21 10:55

Not sure what you mean by "correct protocol", and I am sure the password was correct (checked and decrypted from Roaming file in App Data). But that is now water under the bridge. I went back to basics: reinstalled FZ, used 123Reg's Special FTP Account name instead of their standard FTP Account name, and a new password. I can now log in OK with either QC or SM. QC sometimes fails to retrieve the Directory Listing (why?), but SM always retrieves it. It doesn't go directly to the public.html folder but that's no problem. So I'm good to go, and as far as I'm concerned this post can be deleted before it causes any more confusion - can you do this or must I?

One last request: Could not the spaces for the QC entries for User Name and Password be made wider so they can accommodate longer entries in full? It helps to be able to see the whole of the User Name at a glance rather than just part of it, and the same goes for Password in that you could at least see straightaway how many characters had been entered even if you can't see what they are. There would appear to be plenty of room for this, but I appreciate that there maybe a technical reason why it's not possible.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2023-12-21 12:01

Not sure what you mean by "correct protocol"
ftp://, ftpes:// ftps://, sftp://. You must prepend the hostname in QuickConnect with one of these, to tell FileZilla what communication protocol to use*. FTP and SFTP sound similar, but are fundamentally different. FTPES and FTPS are sub-identifiers of FTP.

*If the server uses the default port for the desired protocol, explicitly entering it will also switch.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org