can't get FTP connection

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

douganderson
500 Command not understood
First name: Doug
Last name: Anderson

can't get FTP connection

#1 Post by douganderson » 2024-01-25 21:16

I've been trying for 2 days to get an FTP connection to a new Wordpress site. I used Filezilla successfully several years ago but can't get the current version to work.
I am using Windows 10 with Firefox browser

I have used site manager and also gone through the Network Configuation Wizard. I think I've tried just about every configuation but I always get a message something like this

TLS connection established.
Command: USER admin
Response: 331 User admin OK. Password required
Command: PASS ************
Response: 530 Login authentication failed
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

It appears to fails at the password stage. I'm not sure what password it is looking for. I've tried the password I set up on the wordpress installation, I've tried the password I use to access my host and I've tried the password that I got from filezilla.xml which when decoded is the same as the one I use for my host

I tried using the parameters I used successfully several year ago which gives a slightly different response
Error: Could not connect to server
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Could not connect to server

That looks like it is making the connection but never gets to the password stage

I've tied deactivating Windows Defender. I also use Malwarebytes but I can't see any way to deactivate it
I've also tried using 'plain FTP' but it always fails

I doubt if this has any significance but I regularly get a message both when I start Filezilla and when I close it
when closing Filezilla
Error Saving Queue
An error occured saving the transfer queue to "C:\Users\Doug\Appdata\Roaming\FileZilla\queue.sqlite3"
Some Queue items might not have been saved

Error when starting Filezilla
Error Loading queue
An error occured loading the transfer queue from "C:\Users\Doug\Appdata\Roaming\FileZilla\queue.sqlite3"
Some Queue items might not have been restored

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: can't get FTP connection

#2 Post by botg » 2024-01-26 09:27

Command: USER admin
Response: 331 User admin OK. Password required
Command: PASS ************
Response: 530 Login authentication failed
Please double-check your login credentials. Watch out for character case and leading/trailing whitespace. If the issue persists, contact your server administrator or server hosting provider for further assistance.
There does not appear to be a working FTP server at that address. If there should be, contact your server administrator or server hosting provider for further assistance