FTP connects - SFTP fails

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Tinkerer
500 Command not understood
First name: Keith
Last name: Willcocks

FTP connects - SFTP fails

#1 Post by Tinkerer » 2024-02-08 11:39

I have long used FTP to connect to my club website using my publishing program (Net Objects Fusion 15) and FileZilla. The hosts (www.one.com) recommend using SFTP instead. I have changed my publishing program to use SFTP and it works fine but FileZilla gives this message:
Status: Connecting to ssh.probus-teddington-hampton.org.uk...
Error: Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

In Site Manager, I duplicated the FTP connection and then changed the Protocol to SFTP-SSH and ftp. to ssh. in the host box. I then changed the password to the one for SFTP connection. Clicking connect gave the above message. I have tried with the port box blank and with 22 in it but that makes no difference. The site name, port and password were the only changes I had to make in the publisher program, is there something else that requires changing in FileZilla? Or am I missing something?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FTP connects - SFTP fails

#2 Post by botg » 2024-02-08 11:54

Please double-check your login credentials, watch out for character case and leading/trailing whitespace.

If the issue persists, contact your server administrator or server hosting provider to inquire about your login credentials.

Tinkerer
500 Command not understood
First name: Keith
Last name: Willcocks

Re: FTP connects - SFTP fails

#3 Post by Tinkerer » 2024-02-09 15:17

Thank you for your response. I contacted the hosting company and they referred me to this page in their help section:
https://help.one.com/hc/en-us/articles/ ... -FileZilla

I also checked the log in credentials and was confident that they were correct because they connected perfectly in SFTP or FTP from my web publishing program.

Until now I have been setting up the connection in Site Manager but have now attempted it using the direct method described in the Host site help page. The result was the same error messages as before but interestingly something unexpected happened. I entered the site address as ssh.sitename and when I clicked Quick Connect the name changed to sftp://ssh.sitename. I then started experimenting and it finally worked when I used sftp://ssh.sitename in the site box in Site Manager. Very odd, but finally sorted.

Thanks again for taking an interest.