Issues with Filezilla and Blue Onyx

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

rfritz@rfei.net
500 Command not understood
First name: Roy
Last name: Fritz

Issues with Filezilla and Blue Onyx

#1 Post by rfritz@rfei.net » 2024-03-10 00:53

I have been using Filezilla for years with no issues until recently. I am on the most recent version 3.66.5. I am an IT tech and very familiar with computers (windows and Linux) and networking. I have 2 older BlueOnyx servers (5106R) that both host multiple virtual websites. I plan to upgrade them to the most recent version of Blue Onyx. A couple months ago I set up a new machine and installed BlueOnyx 5211 with Alma Linux 9.2. This is loaded directly on the server and is not virtualized and was fully patched.

I used FZ to connect to the old server with FTP and copied the entire web directory of one of the larger sites to a network drive on my desktop (Win 10 Pro). I created a new virtual site www2 on the new BlueOnyx server with it's own dedicated IP address. I then tried to ftp the files (1.2 Gb) to the new server with FZ. The first thing I noticed is when connecting it took almost 20 seconds to retrieve the directory listing. When the files started to transfer the first couple files went over ok, then they started to take a long time and after a few seconds transfers started to fail. All transfer were failing at this point. I messed around with it for a while and even tried with my laptop using ethernet, same results. I then tried to just ftp a couple files to the web root directory, same issue. I tried both the hostname and the IP address in FZ. I can ping the server fine 1-3 ms even when files are transferring.

At this point I assumed there was an issue with BlueOnyx. After troubleshooting the new server I could not find anything wrong. I then tried to ftp the files from a Windows command prompt and they went fine. I then used mput and was able to transfer all files in the web root directory. I then deleted those files and used the Windows command prompt and ftp and issued the prompt command so I would not be prompted y/n for each file transfer. Using mput again the files transferred just fine and the screen scrolled so fast I couldn't read it.

Today I set-up the second BlueOnyx machine (5211 and Alma 9.3) and fully patched it. I created a new virtual site www3, and attempted to upload the files with FZ, same issue. I downloaded all the files from the old site to my network drive in about 8 minutes. Tried to upload the files to both of the new BlueOnyx servers with the same failures. It doesn't matter if I do just a file or two at a time or if I grab a bunch, same issue. This Blue Onyx server is using Proftpd 3.8

To eliminate the possibility of a network issue I copied all the files to my laptop hard drive. I then connect the newest BlueOnyx server and my laptop to an Gig ethernet switch with no Internet connection. These were the only two things in the entire switch. I made entries for both the BlueOnyx host and www3 on the laptop host file so I could get to them without DNS. I was able to ping both the host and the www3. I used FZ with both the hostname and the IP address and had the same results. I then tried to FTP from the Windows command prompt and again that worked fine.

I selected 16 .html files totaling 338,716 bytes and tried to ftp them to the web root directory. after 3 mins 28 seconds, FZ prompted the files were transferred. Only 12 were transferred and 6 had 0 bytes. I have attached the erros received in FZ.

At this point I don't know if the issue is with FZ or BlueOnyx. I obviously cant put these servers into production until I get this issue resolved. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
ftp error.txt
(3.37 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

boco
Contributor

Re: Issues with Filezilla and Blue Onyx

#2 Post by boco » 2024-03-10 11:23

At least the Windows command prompt is using Active (PORT) mode to connect. FileZilla is using Passive mode, instead. Could indicate a problem with the server's Passive mode configuration.

Switch FileZilla to Active mode for a fair comparison. Does that work?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org