Using Filezilla to copy website files - how do I access the website

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

nudz
500 Command not understood
First name: Nuddy
Last name: Pillay

Using Filezilla to copy website files - how do I access the website

#1 Post by nudz » 2024-04-05 04:20

I have downloaded all wordpress website files from a container and I want to open the website. How do I open the website?

boco
Contributor

Re: Using Filezilla to copy website files - how do I access the website

#2 Post by boco » 2024-04-05 05:12

Your question is unfortunately not clear. What did you download exactly from where?

- If you merely crawled the website (crawler = website downloader), then you can open the HTML directly, but it will only be a static snapshot and won't function.

- If you directly downloaded the Wordpress files from an existing site, you are missing the most important part, the site's database. The database is not exposed as a file and thus you cannot transfer it with FileZilla, only by other means (like phpMyAdmin).
- Even if you have everything you need, you must run some sort of a web server (this can be done locally) with PHP and database interface support, plus PHP and a database solution themselves.

Easiest way would be getting the database dump and files from the site, setting up a local database solution, PHP and a web server software (like Apache or nginx), then getting and installing the Wordpress package from Wordpress' site. Finally, importing the database dump back in and copying in the missing files (like attachments) should give you a local Wordpress site.
In case you need help with that procedure, you need to refer to Wordpress documentation and support, as it's outside the scope of FileZilla. FileZilla does only the step of transferring files, nothing else.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org