symlinks on Local site bug in v.3.67

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

jpachta
500 Command not understood

symlinks on Local site bug in v.3.67

#1 Post by jpachta » 2024-04-17 14:26

Bug with following symlinks on windows v.3.67

Hello, I just upgraded to v.3.67 on Windows 10 and I have encounter behavior I have never met before.

I have code of my web project in my home directory C:\Users\...\...\... with complicated structure in various subdirectories that are symlinked as subfolders of webroot in C:\xampp\htdocs\myproject\ that follows the same structure as in production server.

When I connect to the production server I have configured the FileZilla to open the local web root folder of 'myproject' as the 'Local site' and same level in 'Remote site' so I can enjoy the on the synchronized browsing which would not be possible with my source folder structure in my home directory.

Now when I try to enter one subdirectory in my 'Local site' that is symlinked, I got error message:
Synchronized browsing
The local directory C:\Users\...\... is not below the synchronization root (C:\xampp\htdocs\myproject).
Disable synchronized browsing and continue changing the local directory?
Once confirmed that with [Yes] to disable synchronized browsing the 'Local site' path is now to C:\Users\...\... - so it jumps to the source but is should not.

With previous version this behavior did not happen and I was able to browse my Local site within the xampp directory structure.

Note, I have not found any settings in FileZilla that can avoid such behavior. But maybe I just missed something. Pls. help.

jpachta

Re: symlinks on Local site bug in v.3.67

#2 Post by jpachta » 2024-04-18 08:26

UPDATE
- the BUG happens only when navigating in "Local site". So when navigating on "Remote site" the folders are entered correctly without changing path to source folder.

REPRODUCE the problem on Windows
To reproduce the behavior we will need to create two directory trees, one as source and second as symlinked using symbolic links from source folder to webroot folder:
  1. Create source folder structure in C:\Data_Exclusion\MyProject (you can create source folder elsewhere but then do not forget to amend the path in MKLINK command in next step):

Code: Select all

MKDIR C:\Data_Exclusion\MyProject\admin\app\src
    MKDIR C:\Data_Exclusion\MyProject\data\app\src
    MKDIR C:\Data_Exclusion\MyProject\tests\app\src

2. Create project folder in the webroot (C:\xampp\htdocs)

MKDIR C:\xampp\htdocs\MyProject

3. Create symlinks from folder in the webroot to the source folders (Note the '/D' param is to create symbolic link to a directory):

MKLINK /D C:\xampp\htdocs\MyProject\admin C:\Data_Exclusion\MyProject\admin\app\src
    MKLINK /D C:\xampp\htdocs\MyProject\data C:\Data_Exclusion\MyProject\data\app\src
    MKLINK /D C:\xampp\htdocs\MyProject\tests C:\Data_Exclusion\MyProject\tests\app\src

4. Now open FileZilla connect to remote server and copy MyProject directory tree including subfolders to the remote site.
  5. Set the FileZilla to following settigns:
    • Set the FilleZilla to this settings:
    • Local site: C:\xampp\htdocs\MyProject
    • Remote site: ../MyProject
  6. Turn on the 'Synchronized browsing'.
  7. Enter any of the folder in Remote site, for example 'admin'.
    This should open the 'admin' folder in both panels as expected when using Synchronized browsing, ie. Local site path is `C:\xampp\htdocs\MyProject\admin`, Remote path is '../MyProject/admin'
  8. Enter any of the folder in Local site, for example 'data'.
    • Now the confirmation dialog opens:

Synchronized browsing
      The local directory 'C:\Data_Exclusion\MyProject\admin\app\src' is not below the synchronization
      root (C:\xampp\htdocs\MyProject\).
      Disable synchronized browsing and continue changing the local directory?
      [Yes] [No]
    • When confirmed [Yes] the path in 'Local site' is unexpectedly changed to the source directory tree, ie. 'C:\Data_Exclusion\MyProject\data\app\src`.
      Expected behavior is to stay in xampp directory tree with symbolic links, ie. in 'C:\xampp\htdocs\MyProject\data'

jpachta

Re: symlinks on Local site bug in v.3.67

#3 Post by jpachta » 2024-04-18 09:01

REPRODUCE the problem on Windows - last clearing step
  • To remove testing directory trees run:

RMDIR /S C:\Data_Exclusion\MyProject
    RMDIR /S C:\xampp\htdocs\MyProject\