Re-try option

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

video99
500 Command not understood
First name: Colin
Last name: McCormick

Re-try option

#1 Post by video99 » 2024-04-17 21:01

It doesn't look like this option is here already, but if it is then please let me know. Otherwise it could be a possible future feature:

If a file transfer completes, but afterwards the resulting file is not the same size as the source file, then flag as a possible failed download.
Have an option under Settings>Transfers>Re-try to automatically re-try possible failed up/downloads some amount of times, up to a maximum of some sensible number.

This would be hugely helpful. I find that a small percentage of files arrive truncated when connecting to a piece of professional audio equipment (Tascam SS-R250N). If Filezilla Client could simply re-try a couple of times, that would pretty much solve the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Colin video99.co.uk

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Re-try option

#2 Post by botg » 2024-04-18 08:27

In general size is an unreliable attribute, what a server shows as size may not actually be the size of the file. Re-trying based on reported size would be quite problematic.

The way downloads work is to just transfer the file until the server orderly shuts down the data connection signaling the end of file. If the data connection is terminated in any other way, it is seen as an error and FileZilla will automatically try to resume.

If the download succeeds yet the file is truncated, it means that the server did orderly shut down the data connection prematurely.

video99
500 Command not understood
First name: Colin
Last name: McCormick

Re: Re-try option

#3 Post by video99 » 2024-04-18 08:47

Nonetheless, it would be a useful option to have. At the moment there's no automatic route for resolving this kind of problem. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person to use the feature if it were added.