FileZilla and symbolic links

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

u0100728
500 Command not understood

FileZilla and symbolic links

#1 Post by u0100728 » 2005-01-02 09:58

I'm using FileZilla 2.2.9 and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Yesterday something came up, however, of which I'm not sure if it qualifies as a bug, so I thought I'd share it here.

I accidentally deleted a file (on the remote end) which was pretty important. I should be getting a backup, but the way the file got wiped out was a bit surprising to me: I had a subdirectory with a symbolic link inside it, pointing to my index.php back in the parent directory (i.e. "index.php -> ../index.php"). From FileZilla, I chose to delete the subdirectory. Everything else inside it was deleted ok, but instead of the symbolic link, the index.php in the parent directory it pointed to, was destroyed!

This also caused the deleting of the subdirectory to fail, since the symbolic link file was still inside it. But naturally I was more annoyed by the fact that something, I hadn't intended to be deleted, was gone. What I had expected was just the link itself be deleted, just as it had been if I had issued an 'rm' command from a shell (which I had to do after this, in order to get rid of the link and the directory holding it).

I went through FileZilla's settings but couldn't find anything related to handling links there. I'm not too familiar with the ftp procol or anything, so I don't know if this is related to that in general, or just the FileZilla client.